conflicting perspectives (1 Viewer)

_deloso

HSC
Doing birthday letters
What should be my thesis? Don't know what to do here.
And how do I integrate my related text in my essay? I don't really get it.
Basically saying that I'm fucked.
Help?

enoilgam

HSC
Your thesis should be done on the day so it fits the question.

D94

HSC
N/A
Your thesis should be done on the day so it fits the question.
You should still have some general idea that you want to argue, ie. your perspective. You are trying to argue your point of view on conflicting perspectives, so if you don't know what it is, then it would be hard thinking one on the spot.

enoilgam

HSC
how do I prepare for it though?
Well, what I did and what a lot of people do is memorise a pre-prepared response. The idea is to remember the "guts" of your paragraphs (ie dont memorise the introduction conclusion and topic/linking sentences). This is so you can mould your essay to suit the question. Just try and do a paragraph on each text.

_deloso

HSC
Well, what I did and what a lot of people do is memorise a pre-prepared response. The idea is to remember the "guts" of your paragraphs (ie dont memorise the introduction conclusion and topic/linking sentences). This is so you can mould your essay to suit the question. Just try and do a paragraph on each text.
yeah I've done this for the other says but I don't know what to specifically talk about in conflicting perspective... Well I have a few ideas: memory vs experience, appearance Vs reality, different views of Sylvia plath, downfall of Hughes and downfall of plath
Any thoughts on these?
Related text is a poem by Sylvia plath

enoilgam

HSC
yeah I've done this for the other says but I don't know what to specifically talk about in conflicting perspective... Well I have a few ideas: memory vs experience, appearance Vs reality, different views of Sylvia plath, downfall of Hughes and downfall of plath
Any thoughts on these?
Related text is a poem by Sylvia plath
I did another text, but just talk in general about how conflicting perspectives are presented in each.

enoilgam

HSC
You should still have some general idea that you want to argue, ie. your perspective. You are trying to argue your point of view on conflicting perspectives, so if you don't know what it is, then it would be hard thinking one on the spot.
True, you should go in with some idea as to what you want to say. But the actual thesis is based on the question.

Glorious

HSC
what should be the ideas presented in conflicting perspectives?
The ideas should be on HOW they are portrayed. This section requires nothing other than the pure, hated techniques that you probably despise by now. I can't stress it enough - you need techniques for this section to show how different perspectives are portrayed. E.G - I'm doing the Justice Game - and the perspective he provides in the Trials of Oz conflicts with that of the Judge's, and the way he does this is through the use of characterisation to undermine his role as the umpire of the case, then I would put a quote to back my answer up. You would then contrast this with the persona's perspective, in my case, Robertson. Basically, you're just contrasting perspectives here and illustrating HOW they are shown. Read past questions and you'll be able to note the way in which they phrase the question -
E.G 2009 - Analyse the ways conflicting perspectives generate diverse and provocative ideas. Note: the "WAYS" which means? TECHNIQUES!
E.G 2010 - To what extent has textual form shaped your understanding of conflicting perspectives? Note: textual form - medium and the use of techniques within this medium

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
For a related text is it better to use Sylvia Plath's poems or the movie Sylvia? With the movie you are able to talk about film techniques and how they are used to convey a different perspective, but the movie is garbage, and I like Plath's poems more (silly, I know)

Glorious

HSC
For a related text is it better to use Sylvia Plath's poems or the movie Sylvia? With the movie you are able to talk about film techniques and how they are used to convey a different perspective, but the movie is garbage, and I like Plath's poems more (silly, I know)
If you could make out some smashing analysis from the poems, then I suggest you do that and just throw in the techniques. Not many people would do poems to be honest. so I think that'd be great. Unless you want to analyse both and use them as separate related texts? But I'm not sure they're both "Sylvia" text types lol. The marker might think you're lazy or something. Just go with what makes you comfortable. =)

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
If you could make out some smashing analysis from the poems, then I suggest you do that and just throw in the techniques. Not many people would do poems to be honest. so I think that'd be great. Unless you want to analyse both and use them as separate related texts? But I'm not sure they're both "Sylvia" text types lol. The marker might think you're lazy or something. Just go with what makes you comfortable. =)
Lol, actually, the Sylvia poems are overdone and generally not advised as students easily fall into the trap of talking about the Hughes-Plath relationship. By all means, go ahead and do it but remember your response has to focus on the nature of 'conflicting perspectives'. Generally, if you want to do a second related text based on the H/P relationship, it has to be 'wow', different and sophisticated, particularly if you are doing Sylvia's poems. I will admit that my preferred related (the one I will do if they ask us only to use one), is on the H/P relationship... but it is quite 'wow', different, and every marker I've had has loved it :p So, if you know you are able to analyse it well, and actually understand the meaning of this elective/the nature of 'conflicting perspectives', do it - it will impress your marker, who probably sits there and groans at a trite H/P essay every fifteen minutes.

Also, if the movie is generally considered 'garbage', I suggest not using it unless you are preparing to critique its bias. I personally don't know it, but the marker probably will, and unless you are actually suggesting in your response the movie is crap (it's okay to do this, I criticise the composer of my H/P related), the marker will know you are bs'ing a crap text.

taeyang

HSC
Lol, actually, the Sylvia poems are overdone and generally not advised as students easily fall into the trap of talking about the Hughes-Plath relationship. By all means, go ahead and do it but remember your response has to focus on the nature of 'conflicting perspectives'. Generally, if you want to do a second related text based on the H/P relationship, it has to be 'wow', different and sophisticated, particularly if you are doing Sylvia's poems. I will admit that my preferred related (the one I will do if they ask us only to use one), is on the H/P relationship... but it is quite 'wow', different, and every marker I've had has loved it :p So, if you know you are able to analyse it well, and actually understand the meaning of this elective/the nature of 'conflicting perspectives', do it - it will impress your marker, who probably sits there and groans at a trite H/P essay every fifteen minutes.

Also, if the movie is generally considered 'garbage', I suggest not using it unless you are preparing to critique its bias. I personally don't know it, but the marker probably will, and unless you are actually suggesting in your response the movie is crap (it's okay to do this, I criticise the composer of my H/P related), the marker will know you are bs'ing a crap text.
Yes I agree, and my teacher seems to as well; in that she sees using "different text TYPES" is a sure fire way to get up and amongst the band 6's" which I don't necessarily agree with in regard to the band 6 part.. but I am doing a painting nevertheless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)