conflicting solutions to this q (1 Viewer)

mecramarathon

HSC
how do you integrate by substitution the following q?

x√(1-x) dx ?

i get conflicting answers from fitzpatrick and cambridge! (in terms of positive and negative signs)

thnx:jump:

ilikebeeef

HSC
let u=1-x
x=1-u

Sum[x(1-x)^1/2]dx
=Sum[(1-u)u^1/2]du
=Sum[u^1/2 - u^3/2]du
=(2/3)u^3/2 - (2/5)u^5/2 + c
=(2/3)(1-x)^3/2 - (2/5)(1-x)^5/2 + c

Hopefully that's correct :spin:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
Just to clarify Trebla's post, he realised that to get rid of the square root, you could say u2 = 1 - x instead of u = 1 - x (which will still leave in the square root).

Then he rearranged to get x = 1 - u2 and could differentiate from there.

That is a very useful substitution method for these sorts of questions :)

The Nomad

HSC
Just to clarify Trebla's post, he realised that to get rid of the square root, you could say u2 = 1 - x instead of u = 1 - x (which will still leave in the square root).

Then he rearranged to get x = 1 - u2 and could differentiate from there.

That is a very useful substitution method for these sorts of questions :)
I would just like to point out that u2 = 1 - x is not a clear-cut definition of the value of u.

That particular solution suggests that (u2)1/2 = u, when in actuality, (u2)1/2 = |u|.

Hence, there are 2 cases:

• If u > 0, |u| = u, and (u2)1/2 = u.
  • If u < 0, |u| = -u, and (u2)1/2 = -u.

jet

Banned
HSC
I would just like to point out that u2 = 1 - x is not a clear-cut definition of the value of u.

That particular solution suggests that (u2)1/2 = u, when in actuality, (u2)1/2 = |u|.

That's a true point, though I've always been under the impression that 3 unit doesn't require such a large amount of rigour. I do always feel guilty when I have to resubstitute back in though.

The Nomad

HSC
That's a true point, though I've always been under the impression that 3 unit doesn't require such a large amount of rigour. I do always feel guilty when I have to resubstitute back in though.
I guess the rigour point is fair enough.

Just wondering though, if 10 people get 84/84 in the HSC exam, how do they choose who is ranked first, and who is second...and so on? Do they not check working out? Just a little query I have.

jet

Banned
HSC
I guess the rigour point is fair enough.

Just wondering though, if 10 people get 84/84 in the HSC exam, how do they choose who is ranked first, and who is second...and so on? Do they not check working out? Just a little query I have.
They look at 2 unit marks. Then they combine it with assessment marks, to 1 decimal place. That usually sorts it out.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Despite this technical issue, it just takes just one extra piece of information to clear it up since the substitution in this case is of a free choice (i.e. just state u > 0 lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)