confused about commerce courses.. (1 Viewer)

Tadaa

HSC
I was wondering, if i want to do finance and marketing together for my next years uni course (2013) is there a specific course that would allow me to do that? otherwise would i have to spend a couple of years doing finance (a B Commerce degree). Then afterwards when i also want to do marketing i would have to redo the commerce degree but with the major as being marketing?

Thanks!

Rawf

HSC
I don't know much about uni... but for most commerce courses you can do 2 majors (EG: at unsw). So the first year of uni, everyone doing commerce will have basically an identical timetable which covers all areas of commerce briefly (as in the subjects like finance, management, marketing etc).. then in your 2nd and 3rd year you choose your majors and spread them throughout the year.
This is all I know lolol, correct me if I'm wrong.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't know much about uni... but for most commerce courses you can do 2 majors (EG: at unsw). So the first year of uni, everyone doing commerce will have basically an identical timetable which covers all areas of commerce briefly (as in the subjects like finance, management, marketing etc).. then in your 2nd and 3rd year you choose your majors and spread them throughout the year.
This is all I know lolol, correct me if I'm wrong.
^ yeah that

Make sure it's Commerce by itself though. If you have a combined degree, you usually only get one major per degree.

Tadaa

HSC
so what you mean is that if i do a Bcommerce i get to choose something like 2 majors which in this case i would choose marketing and finance, and it would take me around about 4 years to complete? That means i wouldnt need to do B commerce twice to have covered both the marketing and finance course?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It would take you 3 years, or however long B Commerce is - I'm sure it's 3 years.

And no you wouldn't.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
so what you mean is that if i do a Bcommerce i get to choose something like 2 majors which in this case i would choose marketing and finance, and it would take me around about 4 years to complete? That means i wouldnt need to do B commerce twice to have covered both the marketing and finance course?

Correct. Basically to be eligible to graduate you need to achieve a certain number of credit points from a particular field e.g. commerce (note that each subject you study is worth a certain number of points). Then, to be eligible to have a "major" on your degree you need to do a certain number of credit points from that particular study (e.g. finance or marketing). You can also get minors if you reach a lower number of credit points in a particular study. Basically you can pick and choose what you want to study to make up your degree. Some unis (e.g. UNSW) also require gened courses which are subjects outside your main field (e.g. I did aviation in my commerce degree).

For more info look up the UNSW handbook or the respective university course guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)