Confused about English Ext 1 Course (Yr 11) (1 Viewer)

alan7948

HSC
I am a bit confused about the course for English Ext1 in Yr 11. I have heard that for either ext1 or ext 2 you have to do a major work (i think it was like a 8000 word short story) can people please tell me if this major work is for ext 1 or ext 2?

Thanks for your help

HSC
alan7948 said:
I am a bit confused about the course for English Ext1 in Yr 11. I have heard that for either ext1 or ext 2 you have to do a major work (i think it was like a 8000 word short story) can people please tell me if this major work is for ext 1 or ext 2?

Thanks for your help
Ext 2 for the story.

bawd

HSC
alan7948 said:

Thanks for your help
Ext. 2. And it's any piece of major work; whether a poem anthology, short story, film etc etc. There's plenty of threads around on this, if you want any more details, just do a quick search with the Search function.

shimmer205

HSC
The major work in ext 2 does not have to be a short story either - it can be anything from a film, a movie script, an essay, to a radio show. It's up to you.

You may be asked to do a smaller major work as an assessment task in year 11 for ext 1 (our school does that so we can get an idea of whether we would like ext 2).

alan7948

HSC
shimmer205 said:
The major work in ext 2 does not have to be a short story either - it can be anything from a film, a movie script, an essay, to a radio show. It's up to you.

You may be asked to do a smaller major work as an assessment task in year 11 for ext 1 (our school does that so we can get an idea of whether we would like ext 2).
what does the smaller work encompass?

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Questions:

1. How much difference of scaling is extension english to advanced and standard?
2. Is everything about essays for HSC english next year? No comprehension right?
3. I've heard some tutoring colleges give essays for students to memorise in HSc english. Is that true? wouldnt that be very easy then?
4. The books they give you to read.... Is it all classic books ? Which level of English has the most interesting texts?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Answers:

1. The scaling of the englishes will progress higher as they get harder because tehy are more challenging and the more 'interlectual people' will pick them. There won't be a HUGE scaling difference but it might be enough to move your UAI at the end about 1-4 points either way :)

2. HSC english is mainly Essays... yes. That's what I've heard from students and friends who are in year 12 or finished it.

3. ??? wouldn't know.

4. Standard english novels aren't the most challenging novels but are apparently okay reads. Advanced english does ALOT of Shakespeare.... Extension English.... i don't know.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Aquawhite said:
Answers:

1. The scaling of the englishes will progress higher as they get harder because tehy are more challenging and the more 'interlectual people' will pick them. There won't be a HUGE scaling difference but it might be enough to move your UAI at the end about 1-4 points either way :)

2. HSC english is mainly Essays... yes. That's what I've heard from students and friends who are in year 12 or finished it.

3. ??? wouldn't know.

4. Standard english novels aren't the most challenging novels but are apparently okay reads. Advanced english does ALOT of Shakespeare.... Extension English.... i don't know.
1. wow. 1-4 points
2. good. I prefer essays to writing short stories, because you know what to write about in essays
3. lol
4. ewww...I hate shakespeare.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I would think that adjusting the UAI 4 points is a rare occassion but with the changing scaling it 'could' happen.

Cerry

HSC
1. I don't know the actual numbers, but Extension generally scales higher. However, unless you do extension 2, one of your units of advanced will definitely count towards your UAI. And as always, there's no point choosing a subject that scales well if you're going to suck at it

2. There's comprehension in paper one for advanced, but it's very different to the SC comprehension - it's not multiple choice, for one thing. There's also creative writing, and an essay. The other paper is all essays. Extension is a two hour exam with an essay and a creative writing task

3. If you want good marks, don't even think about it. Memorising an essay will get you nowhere, because there's no guarentee it will actually answer the question you're being asked, and even if it does (very slim chance, by the way), the markers can usually tell, and you'll be marked down for it.

4. Advanced have to read at least one Shakespeare. I've never heard of a class who do more than one, though. The prescribed texts for each module of each course next year can be found here: http://boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/hsc_english_poster_09-12.pdf
I don't really find that the extension texts are any more interesting than the advanced ones, but the way we look at them does tend to be.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I am actually basing these things that i write from friends in year 11 currently and use these forums... Past students which are in uni right now and I've asked my english teacher alot about what is involved in each english course because it is not my strong point in school and I needed advice on what level to choose.

Schoey93

HSC
Aquawhite said:
I am actually basing these things that i write from friends in year 11 currently and use these forums... Past students which are in uni right now and I've asked my english teacher alot about what is involved in each english course because it is not my strong point in school and I needed advice on what level to choose.
  • If you like English, choose English Extension 1. If you really, really like English, in YEAR 12, do English Extension 2.
  • If you hate English but are GOOD AT IT, do English (Advanced).
  • If you hate English and average a C-grade in English reports or a lower grade, I highly recommend that you study Standard English. Normally to do Advanced English, and do well in Advanced English, you must get AT LEAST a 'B' on your Year 10 Semester 1 Report.
  • Sources:
  • Year 11 & Year 12 friends
  • My English Teacher, who is also the Coordinator, Mrs Tricia Sewell
  • Hope that helped, but you must realise, I was trying to simplify the decision, and for you, you might have to agonise over it for 3 months until you finally decided what to do, but me, I have already decided my subjects confidently 1 year before I OFFICIALLY have to decide on them.
Ciao ciao

James

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol. This doesn't need to turn into sumthing that we sourced all our information.... Hahaha Lol. It's my earth & environmental class in science all over again! ARGH!

Schoey93

HSC
Aquawhite said:
Lol. This doesn't need to turn into sumthing that we sourced all our information.... Hahaha Lol. It's my earth & environmental class in science all over again! ARGH!
Oh. I didn't realise. lol :D

Well, OK ...so I believe that you're in Year 10 - unless you lie on the Internet :p. lolz
OK - My personal advice to you is this:
  • Do ADVANCED ENGLISH.
  • You don't have to listen to me :D, but I would highly recommend Advanced English NOT Standard English, as Advanced is a challenge and when you show prospective employers you HSC results in 2012 (or whenever) they will go...ooh, Advanced English...so she must be a good communicator, better than somebody who did Standard English.
  • But of course the above only really applies to writing jobs: English Teacher, ESL teacher, Journalist, Author, Copywriter, Publisher, the list goes on :D my friend! lolz
  • SO
  • DO ADVANCED, but only if you got a B+ (B or higher) on Yr 10 Semester Report.
Hope that's helpful :lol:...but, I don't know...yes, bye.

Good luck with Year 11 next year!
By the way, I haven't actually decided on ALL of my subjects, just that I'll be doing English Extension 1
because I came Third in the Year. (Modest, much? :D lolz) soz gtg bye!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
nerdsforever said:
Questions:

2. Is everything about essays for HSC english next year? No comprehension right?
lol
year 11- you hate hand in essays you have so many of them.
year 12- you beg for hand in essays cuz there so much easier than in class ones.

alan7948

HSC
-may-cat- said:
lol
year 11- you hate hand in essays you have so many of them.
year 12- you beg for hand in essays cuz there so much easier than in class ones.
lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)