Confused About Essay Structure (1 Viewer)

rossverg

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm really confused about structuring my essay in relation to Physical Journeys. I know it is supposed to be based around a central concept or thesis, but I'm not really sure of the entire structure... Do I create sub-argumetns and discuss them in relaktion to my thesis and then prove them with techniques or am I supposed to just talk about my thesis broadly throughout the essay in one continous thread?

Like for example my thesis could be "Physical journeys provide an opportunity for travellers to encounter new experiences that change them".... Would I then proceed to make sub-arguments like for example
1) Physical journeys often lead to a realisation of self-identity
2) Physical journeys can result in displacement
3) People have differing attitudes while on the journey

and then back these up with techniques??

The problem is I've been writing essays in an argument followed by evidence style since year 9.... I've only jsut heard of this thing called a thesis and I'm just finding it difficult to restructure my essay... Some of the past HSC responses I've read just discuss their thesis throughout in a continous thread without any suba rguments which makes me even mroe confused and worried :(

So please, if anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
rossverg said:
Hey guys,

I'm really confused about structuring my essay in relation to Physical Journeys. I know it is supposed to be based around a central concept or thesis, but I'm not really sure of the entire structure... Do I create sub-argumetns and discuss them in relaktion to my thesis and then prove them with techniques or am I supposed to just talk about my thesis broadly throughout the essay in one continous thread?

Like for example my thesis could be "Physical journeys provide an opportunity for travellers to encounter new experiences that change them".... Would I then proceed to make sub-arguments like for example
1) Physical journeys often lead to a realisation of self-identity
2) Physical journeys can result in displacement
3) People have differing attitudes while on the journey

and then back these up with techniques??

The problem is I've been writing essays in an argument followed by evidence style since year 9.... I've only jsut heard of this thing called a thesis and I'm just finding it difficult to restructure my essay... Some of the past HSC responses I've read just discuss their thesis throughout in a continous thread without any suba rguments which makes me even mroe confused and worried :(

So please, if anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated
your thesis(intro) should be one solid statement which clearly states your point of view or argument about what you want to discuss and prove. then through your texts you show how they support your argument. always refer back to your question after you talk about one text. thus you can say something like "therefore through the characters in the book it clearly illustrates that as a result of embarking on the journey it has broadered their understanding about themselves and the world around them". then you should link this view with your other texts. show the differences and similarties. use linking words like "this aspect of journey is once again seen in the wind and the willow as toad etc .." and talk about techniques and how the composer has used them to portray thier view. once you do a lot of them it becomes a lot more easier ! which i have to do as i have still have big flaws in my essay writing.

Last edited:

becbo

HSC
write a thesis stating briefly what you would talk about like you normally would in an essay. then write a paragraph on each concept and relate that concept to 2 or 3 texts giving examples (quotes) from the texts to support what you are saying. then write a conclusion like you normally would.

in the thesis state the concepts and the texts that you will be talking about but do not put examples in.. maybe put one quote that has and underlining message to the focus question but i didn't when i wrote my essay and i advise you not to as well..

it doesnt matter if your paragraphs are really long, don't make a new paragraph just because you think that the one you are writing now is too long..

bikini kill

HSC
yeah im so confused aswell. so i tried to do a thesis and then write a practice essay right? so i did one ..
i think
anyway i did an arguement i took from the BOS website someone had suggested it
something about physical journey being an instigator for escapism
and i was doing the practice essay for the question asking how physical journey broadened our perception of the world and ourselves and something else i forget
but then i tried to relate the instigator for escapism with the broadening of understandings in relation to physical journey
and i found that my essay related entirely to the instigator and i kind of bullshitted *excuse my french* off that into how it was a broadener of my understanding
i duno if this post makes sense, im a natural rambler
but do u know what i mean. .. .like u make the arguement then u elaborate on it, aren't u then answering ur own question instead of the one they gave? IM SO CONFUSED.
and....
when u introduce ur additional material and ur set text n shit in the beginning of ur essay
do u have 2 give a statement about each or do u just say in the following texts : (insert here) this is evident blah blah blah
sorry if this has been answered elsewhere or if it makes absolutely no sense
lol
eek !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)