Confused about organisation?? (1 Viewer)

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
Hi everyone :)

I am really excited to be entering year 11 this year but I am extremely confused as how to organise my subjects so that I can keep track of everything and revise easily. My subjects are: ext Maths, ext English, chemistry, biology and society & culture. If someone could please suggest some sort of system where I could keep my notes organised, it would be greatly appreciated :)

HSC 2015

Prelim: English Extension | Maths Extension | Chemistry | Biology | Society & Culture

Aiming for Medicine at UNSW

tashe

HSC
N/A
First off, congratulations for making it this far. I'll give you a few pointers and maybe other members can post as well. Experiment with the different variations of systems for organisation as it is your preliminary year (experiment year).

This is how I would do it:

• Understand what is being taught in class. Do not drag it out and hope that further into the course you would understand. Further material in the course is usually an extension and requires the previous knowledge. Hence, when you don't understand something, make sure you learn it as soon as possible. Question everything, your teachers will see you are dedicated (and hence be happy to help you in the future) and also you will learn. A win win situation.
  • I only make notes on weekends. I found that doing it on a daily basis made me lose interest and I usually procrastinate.
  • The notes would be made (published) in a book. One for each subject. I started a new page for each dotpoint.
  • On weekdays, I would do homework and polish my notes. I reread my notes that have already been published and summarised them down to a point where it no longer can be.

1. Do not use loose sheets if you're not going to put it in a folder. It's easy to lose and it makes your table very messy.
2. When typing English essays, you would have numerous drafts of the same essay (this plays a huge part in year 12). It is a good idea to name them in the following manner. ...+EDIT1, ...+EDIT2 ...
3. Not what you ask but it's something I regret. I regret not having a job in year 11. I mean, it's your preliminary year. Nothing counts and it'll prepare you to have better time management for year 12.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
With organisation, I think a lot of it depends on you really. Everyone learns differently and I think the best way is to select the right strategy based on your specific needs. When you start Year 11, you will probably go in with a general idea of what to do and as time goes on, you will begin to see that some of that stuff works and some of it doesnt. So, you have to think on your feet in terms of how to adapt what you do to suit the situation.

I know this sounds like a cop-out answer, but as I have said many times before on BoS, study is about finding what works best for you. The best method is to get in there, gauge your needs and act accordingly.

Biotherm

HSC
For time management,definitely get yourself a monthly calendar to have an overview on when assessments are spread out. This allows you to have an idea on when to study and when to revise, remember to include the weightings to prioritise your valuable time. Also a daily planner (one day to a page) allows you to set short term goals which you can tick off as you go to make sure you are on top of everything. I didnt have a set routine for study since every week was different and you need variety or else you begin to procrastinate. The next thing is to get yourself a USB solely for year 11 notes which contains folders for every subject and further subfolders. This is really important as I have lost so many files due to forgetting to back up. I know my tips are very general but maybe it'll help someone. :)

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
First off, congratulations for making it this far. I'll give you a few pointers and maybe other members can post as well. Experiment with the different variations of systems for organisation as it is your preliminary year (experiment year).

This is how I would do it:

• Understand what is being taught in class. Do not drag it out and hope that further into the course you would understand. Further material in the course is usually an extension and requires the previous knowledge. Hence, when you don't understand something, make sure you learn it as soon as possible. Question everything, your teachers will see you are dedicated (and hence be happy to help you in the future) and also you will learn. A win win situation.
  • I only make notes on weekends. I found that doing it on a daily basis made me lose interest and I usually procrastinate.
  • The notes would be made (published) in a book. One for each subject. I started a new page for each dotpoint.
  • On weekdays, I would do homework and polish my notes. I reread my notes that have already been published and summarised them down to a point where it no longer can be.

1. Do not use loose sheets if you're not going to put it in a folder. It's easy to lose and it makes your table very messy.
2. When typing English essays, you would have numerous drafts of the same essay (this plays a huge part in year 12). It is a good idea to name them in the following manner. ...+EDIT1, ...+EDIT2 ...
3. Not what you ask but it's something I regret. I regret not having a job in year 11. I mean, it's your preliminary year. Nothing counts and it'll prepare you to have better time management for year 12.
Thank you so much! This really helped me and gave me son idea as to how I should organise myself:) you're very good at giving advice, as for the job I would love to have one but I don't think I'm capable of balancing that and my school work. I'm weak haha

HSC 2015

Prelim: English Extension | Maths Extension | Chemistry | Biology | Society & Culture

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
With organisation, I think a lot of it depends on you really. Everyone learns differently and I think the best way is to select the right strategy based on your specific needs. When you start Year 11, you will probably go in with a general idea of what to do and as time goes on, you will begin to see that some of that stuff works and some of it doesnt. So, you have to think on your feet in terms of how to adapt what you do to suit the situation.

I know this sounds like a cop-out answer, but as I have said many times before on BoS, study is about finding what works best for you. The best method is to get in there, gauge your needs and act accordingly.
I think you're absolutely correct, I should definitely experiment and find which method suits me most. Thank you for your advice :)

HSC 2015

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
For time management,definitely get yourself a monthly calendar to have an overview on when assessments are spread out. This allows you to have an idea on when to study and when to revise, remember to include the weightings to prioritise your valuable time. Also a daily planner (one day to a page) allows you to set short term goals which you can tick off as you go to make sure you are on top of everything. I didnt have a set routine for study since every week was different and you need variety or else you begin to procrastinate. The next thing is to get yourself a USB solely for year 11 notes which contains folders for every subject and further subfolders. This is really important as I have lost so many files due to forgetting to back up. I know my tips are very general but maybe it'll help someone. :)
That's actually a really good idea since I feel like I accomplish more when I have a set of goals :) The USB idea is also great and i will definitely get one! Thank you for your help, you're not only a very nice person but you give wonderful advice

HSC 2015

dtmtrano

HSC
Hi,

This is what im gonna adapt to. Been thinking bout it for the past year, although im sitting it in 2016.
1. One binder folder for each subject which consists of:
- Plastic sleeve for each topic learnt including worksheets and textbook printouts. (I was wondering if I should perhaps use loose leaf sheets so I can do class work on them then slip these sheets inside the plastic sleeve so that everything is nice and compact in one spot). But I'll probably just use an exercise book.
- Once a topic done, I will write a summary of all areas covered and the important sub topics in the topic, including a summary from the syllabus based on the topic. I will then place this outline summary as the cover of the plastic sleeve. I will do this for each topic.
- At the back, I will have the syllabus and course outline for the subject.
- At the front I will have a list of topics for both Prelim and HSC course.

2. A spiral notebook for each subject to compile study notes, practice essays for english, and brainstorm hard questions and formulae for maths. For notes, use Cornell Method (google it). Write notes after each topic.

3. A small notebook (A5): write checklists of what to study weeks before exams and to carry around. Revise topic by topic in my head. As well as plan for assignments.

4. Past papers.

Then on my mac, i use calendar and reminders that sync to my phone so i can keep track. Its ideal to plan out daily events so ur mind is clearer.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Nice advise. It's good to see someone plan early. (Something I definetly should have done a long time ago).

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Nice advise. It's good to see someone plan early. (Something I definetly should have done a long time ago).
It is never too late to start planning now:) It is never too late until you think it is:)-best wishes for the rest of your holiday to be spent in a productive manner:)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
where's a good place to start for yr 11? I have personally typed up a glossary for each of my subjects and will expand on it as the term progresses, and have also summarised the syllabus to all preliminary dot points and outcomes. Is that a good start or was it a waste of time?

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
where's a good place to start for yr 11? I have personally typed up a glossary for each of my subjects and will expand on it as the term progresses, and have also summarised the syllabus to all preliminary dot points and outcomes. Is that a good start or was it a waste of time?
You've done well! Just remember to relax and enjoy your holidays as well

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
thanks for the opinion, I still feel a bit unprepared. :(

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
prob coz got nothing else to do and end up bludging

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)