Confused about the structure of a Speer question - help please~ (1 Viewer)

madelyn

HSC
“Those who are inspired by an ideal rather than self interest make the biggest impact on history” To what extent is this true in Speer?

I personally think Speer was governed by both Nazi ideals and self-interest, but what I'm confused about is the question itself. Within the question, is it a given that Speer "made an impact on history" and the argument is whether he was inspired by Nazi ideals or self interest? Is the controversy about whether he knew about the holocaust relevant to the question? Or do I have to determine whether Speer did make any impact on history, and how his idealism/self-interest affected this?
Basically I'm asking how to interpret the question...I'd appreciate it if anyone could put it in layman's terms for me. (Knowing me the question is probably completely straightforward and my pounding headache is preventing me from getting my head around it...that or I'm just stupid) thanks.

hangerm5

HSC
I think you are on the right track with all the options. I suspect that they want you to assess how much impact Speer had within the Nazi regime (which is up to you to decide) and then evaluate whether his actions were self interested or inspired by the Nazi ideals (sorry, i know that it sounds like i am repeating your message).

If it were me i think i would say that Speer was instrumental in the rise of the Nazis, his architecture was very effective propaganda - even today many of the symbols we associate with the Reich such as the eagle and the rallies were his doing. Then you need to make a transition onto his major career change as Minster for War/Armaments (it is here they really like you to assess his impact) and you need to assess how much influence he had over the war effort. Considering many people feel he extended Germanys war by over a year i think we will both agree thats quite a lot of influece.

From memory i took a line that said initially he was inspire by nazi ideals but that as he rose through the ranks self interest took over. Part of that self interest was his relationship with Hitler which by all accounts was for the most part a strong friendship, part of it became his own pride. The BBC used to have some live interviews with speer on one of their websites in which he said "for the commision to build great buildings i would have sold my soul like Faust. Hitler was my Mephistopheles" or words to this affect. That was before he was in the regime. Once he got there he really was more or less compelled to be there (SA not a fun prospect). I concluded that he survived in the regime by adopting a pragmatic approach to his work, he became production oriented focusing on practicality rather than humanity (this is in itself a self-interested device) and it was probably this method that enabled him to see but ultimately ignore the attrocities before him.

God, sorry this is such a long post and it mightnt really be that useful, i think i have rambled a lot. There is so much to say about Speer and when trying to do it all quickly as i have above you have to presuppose things. Generally questions about speer assume that you will do 3 things...1) Self Interest or Idealistic 2)Impact on success of reich-especially the war effort but propaganda shouldnt be ignored 3) Is he the repentent nazi?can we trust his post war, post prison accounts or are these selfish attempts to restore his name?

tigerian

HSC
N/A
madelyn said:
“Those who are inspired by an ideal rather than self interest make the biggest impact on history” To what extent is this true in Speer?

I personally think Speer was governed by both Nazi ideals and self-interest, but what I'm confused about is the question itself. Within the question, is it a given that Speer "made an impact on history" and the argument is whether he was inspired by Nazi ideals or self interest? Is the controversy about whether he knew about the holocaust relevant to the question? Or do I have to determine whether Speer did make any impact on history, and how his idealism/self-interest affected this?
Basically I'm asking how to interpret the question...I'd appreciate it if anyone could put it in layman's terms for me. (Knowing me the question is probably completely straightforward and my pounding headache is preventing me from getting my head around it...that or I'm just stupid) thanks.
Check your BOS email.

madelyn

HSC
hangerm5, you were incredibly helpful. Thank you!

Tigerian, any input into the question would be greatly appreciated, thanks

tigerian

HSC
N/A
madelyn said:
hangerm5, you were incredibly helpful. Thank you!

Tigerian, any input into the question would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Apparantely you sent me an email but my inbox was full. BOS just sent me a message. Ive cleared it up now. Could you send it again please.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)