confused about time table (1 Viewer)

andybandy

HSC
When you recieve your off and accept it, your supposed to make a time table right?
I'm not sure how this will work or what your supposed to do, can someone help ?

D94

HSC
N/A
Yes, the enrolment will lead onto course selection and enrolment.

Find your program in the 2014 Handbook: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/2014/index.html

Read it carefully and also see if your School's webpage has sample plans (or study plans that outline which courses to take in whichever semester/year).

The Handbook will indicate which courses to take. Normally, students do the core subjects first, or subjects that are prerequisites for later year subjects.

andybandy

HSC
Yeah i found my program, and all it shows is units of credit and the course title?

D94

HSC
N/A
You have to click on the link... If you specify which program, we can provide more help.

andybandy

HSC
i dont know if ive been accepted, but its engineering of mechatronics

D94

HSC
N/A
Okay, this is the Handbook for Mechatronic Engineering "major": http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2014/MTRNA13710.html

This is the Handbook for the "program": http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2014/3710.html

The program indicates the Typical Units of Credit per semester is 24 UOC. You must complete a minimum of 192 UOC of relevant courses. This obviously breaks down to 4 years. For the great majority of courses that UNSW offers at undergraduate level, they are 6 UOC each. So that means typically, students undertake 4 courses per semester.

So, you need to choose 4 courses in Semester 1. You can't pick courses that require a prerequisite. For example, Maths 1B requires you to have done Maths 1A.

If you look at the major web page, it says the following:

Choose ONE of:
MATH1131 Mathematics 1A (6 UOC)
MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A (6 UOC)

And ONE of:
MATH1231 Mathematics 1B (6 UOC)
MATH1241 Higher Mathematics 1B (6 UOC)

And ONE of:
PHYS1121 Physics 1A (6 UOC)
PHYS1131 Higher Physics 1A (6 UOC)

Plus these following 2 courses:
ENGG1000 Engineering Design (6 UOC)
MMAN1300 Engineering Mechanics (6 UOC)

And ONE of:
COMP1911 Computing 1A (6 UOC)
COMP1917 Computing 1 (6 UOC)
Plus choose 2 electives from the Year 1 Elective List
You have the option to choose:
- Maths 1A or Higher Maths 1A;
- Phys 1A or Higher Phys 1A;
- ENGG1000 since it is available in Semester 1;
- COMP1911 or COMP1917 (it states COMP1917 is preferred); and
- two electives from that list - it will indicate which semesters are available.

You cannot choose:
- Maths 1B or Higher Maths 1B because (Higher) Maths 1A is a prerequisite;
- MMAN1300 since it requires MATH and PHYS (and so it is normally done in Semester 2).

So from the list of courses you can choose from, there are at least 4 courses you can choose from. However, you are in luck because the School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering publishes recommended or sample plans for you to follow: http://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/mechanical-engineering/mechatronic-engineering-program-outlines

The Mechatronic Engineering plan can be found here: http://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/...iles/uploads/BE_Plan_3710_MTRN_Basic_2013.pdf

You are not required to follow that plan as is; I would recommend you to do COMP1917 (or COMP1911) in Semester 1 rather than Semester 2, then push back that elective to second semester or even second year, depending on how you move things around and which first year engineering electives interest you.

But I guess since it is a new plan, the majority of commencing students will follow that plan and do COMP1917 in Semester 2 and not as many in Semester 1, so it may be better because of that. However, getting COMP1917 done alongside ENGG1000 is good because the workload of COMP1917 is polarising compared to ENGG1000, so it complements it well. It's your choice.

Also consider your timetable options. If you select a course, for example MATH1131, it has "Further Information: See Class Timetable" in the blue box. Click on that link and it will redirect you to the timetable options.

The other method is to go to Class Utilisation: https://my.unsw.edu.au/classutil/ This updates more frequently (but not immediately).

There are also timetabling apps available such as Rectangles, Octangles, Circles etc. But bear in mind that these are not official and may have errors. You may be better off using that as a guide, then manually making your desired timetable.

andybandy

HSC
Okay, I compeltely understand! thankyou!.
So, for example, a timetable for sesmeter 1 would look like.
higher maths 1A
physics 1A
engineering design
comp 1917
and 2 electives?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
higher maths 1A
physics 1A
engineering design
comp 1917
and 2 electives?
No, you take 4 subjects (more specifically 24 units of credit) per semester. So you take four of those six. For instance, you can take the first four, and then your two "electives" you can take in Semester 2, or next year in Semester 1.

@D19, is there any requirements of getting into 'Fundamentals of Mathematics B' (MATH1011)?
http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/courses/math1011-fundamentals-mathematics-b

Umm, no. It's basically the equivalent of General Maths in High School.

If you're taking a B. Science in Statistics, you have to do MATH1131 (or really, MATH1141).

andybandy

HSC
No, you take 4 subjects (more specifically 24 units of credit) per semester. So you take four of those six. For instance, you can take the first four, and then your two "electives" you can take in Semester 2, or next year in Semester 1.

Ahh okay, I understand, so i'll take just the first 4. thankyou. Also, whats the different between the higher physics and normal physics, i know i have to do the normal maths as i didn't do extension 2

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Higher Physics is just like Higher Maths, you'll cover more content, and treat some topics at a deeper level.

It's harder, but there is scaling involved - and if you like physics, I'd suggest taking that.

andybandy

HSC
Higher Physics is just like Higher Maths, you'll cover more content, and treat some topics at a deeper level.

It's harder, but there is scaling involved - and if you like physics, I'd suggest taking that.
Okay, so thankyou heaps for all your help, I appreciate it.

So when my offer comes to me at 9pm and i accept it will lead me into the time table creation page?

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, so thankyou heaps for all your help, I appreciate it.

So when my offer comes to me at 9pm and i accept it will lead me into the time table creation page?
Yeah just follow the acceptance procedure and it'll lead you to myUNSW which will lead you to personal detail forms and I believe time tabling comes up at the end.

D94

HSC
N/A
higher maths 1A
physics 1A
engineering design
comp 1917
and 2 electives?
Ahh okay, I understand, so i'll take just the first 4. thankyou. Also, whats the different between the higher physics and normal physics, i know i have to do the normal maths as i didn't do extension 2
I linked you the sample plan, have a look at that. You typically take 4 courses, and you might be better off doing COMP1917 in semester 2 because your Mechatronic cohort will most likely do it in semester 2.

Higher Physics is the exact same as normal Physics, nothing is different - there's no extra content. But the final exam is harder and longer in terms of questions, but the same amount of time. Scaling will ensure "fairness".

andybandy

HSC
I linked you the sample plan, have a look at that. You typically take 4 courses, and you might be better off doing COMP1917 in semester 2 because your Mechatronic cohort will most likely do it in semester 2.

Higher Physics is the exact same as normal Physics, nothing is different - there's no extra content. But the final exam is harder and longer in terms of questions, but the same amount of time. Scaling will ensure "fairness".
Yeah i looked at the sample plan, it was great thanks!

if i take it in semster 1 what would likely happen? Also if i do decide to take it in semester 2, what should i likely replace the course with.

And yeah, i might do it, if the scaling ensures fairness and considering i like physics

Go_Lucky

HSC
So we're expected to actually choose what subjects we'll be doing tonight? Can you change your timetable? Does anyone know the deadline for it and the deadline for accepting our offer?

D94

HSC
N/A
If you take it in semester 1, that just means you push that first year elective to second semester (in that sample plan). There are no real consequences if you do it in semester 1.

Here is the list of faculty electives: http://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/electives

Have a read of their course handbook description and try to find "UNSW [course name] + course outline" and if there is something, have a read of it and see if it interests you.

One thing you need to be aware of - for example, MMAN1300 is on the list of faculty electives, but you cannot hit two birds with one stone by considering it as your "first year engineering elective" and your "core" Mechatronic course. You must choose something else.

D94

HSC
N/A
So we're expected to actually choose what subjects we'll be doing tonight? Can you change your timetable? Does anyone know the deadline for it and the deadline for accepting our offer?
You don't have to tonight, but good times will go early.

You can change your timetable at any time up until the first day of uni. After that, you can only drop courses, or change with your School's approval. This is until the "census date", after that, you can drop courses, but there are penalties such as academically and financially.

You can find the dates here: https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/resources/KeyDates.html

andybandy

HSC
So just to make sure.
This is fine and acceptable.
MATH1131 Mathematics 1A,
PHYS1131 Higher Physics 1A
ENGG1000 Engineering Design
MMAN1300 Engineering Mechanics ,
COMP1911 Computing 1A,
and an elective

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)