Confused about timetables/Units etc. (1 Viewer)

1harkina

HSC
im goin to mq aswel 4 education and it really is confusing is there a helpline to call about choosing units and stuff

david1337king

HSC
ko0l said:
i think you're talking about this: read it

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/PDFs/2008/ug-selecting-your-program.pdf

try to understand the difference between study pattern and coherent study.

Considering most first years dont really understand its best to follow a study pattern- that way you know exactly what subjects you need to do.

with coherent studies you just work your way backwards like a puzzle: fake e.g im gonna major in 4units maths..looks like im gonna need to do 3units maths etc.

As for enrolment day, just read through the online handbook and write down on a piece of paper what subjects you are gonna do, cus on that whatever enrolment advice day, you get an academic adviser to confirm it so you dont recklessly enrol in random subjects. In other words the enrolment session is a time for you to ask questioins face to face to clear things up. The reason why they ask to you prepare at home for enrolment is to speed things up on actual enrolment at campus, so people dont waste the advisers' time and asking unnecessary questions.

first browse through this:

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/degrees.php?edition=2008&level=ug
find your degree and look at the undergrad study pattern, and done!

to speed things up look at the timetable of when each subject is held.

e.g econ110

http://www.timetables.mq.edu.au/class/2008/ttmaker/showfullunit.asp?UnitPrefix=ECON&UnitNum=110

and structure your timetable, write down on paper and bring to enrolment and fill it in the proposed program form
THANK YOU SO MUCH. That was the only part that I did not understand. Thanks for clearing that up.:shy:

ippie

HSC
Okay this thread has generally been helpful, but how many units (is that what they're called?) am I supposed to put in my timetable?!

I'm doing Bachelor of Information Systems, and the program of study is INFT02 - Information Systems. Er... so do I just sign up for all the required units under 100 level? If so, I'll be signing up for 18 credit points?? But the Proposed program says 14 credit points each semester, so do I halve the 18 credit points to 9 in 1st semester, then 9 in 2nd?

I'm really sorry if a question similar to this has been answered; my head is going totally crazy from reading uni stuff (esp the 70 page CSP info booklet *dies*)

Thanks heaps!

Last edited:

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
It is recommended you do 12 per semester.

to the OP, most 1st yr accounting/law students (there aren't many) do these subjects:

1st sem:

accg1a
stat170
econ110
law114

2nd sem

accg1b
acst101
econ111
law104

Acst101 and Stat170 can be swapped around.

good luck

miss-smexy

HSC
CharlieB,

How about these subjects for semester one:

ACCG100
ECON110
LAW114
ISYS123

?

alfonso22

HSC
i am also doing my BA and Dip-ed this year and i have searched the whole website and the handbook( i bought it on pathways day;))

umm i think i understand now.. but we go there on one day (mine is the 30th jan) for a general scope on the course and then the next for 'academic advising',(mine is the 4th feb) and i believe it is on that day that we are to submit our proposed prgram form. so really you still have time to sort out what your going to do.

generally for the teaching area we only have 2 core subjects in general which are EDUC105 and EDUC 106, only if you choose math or science you have other core units.

the other units you choose to take up per semester is up to what you want to major in and your interests.

if you guys got any other inof or i am wrong let me know;)

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
miss-smexy said:
CharlieB,

How about these subjects for semester one:

ACCG100
ECON110
LAW114
ISYS123

?
yeah thats fine.

you are going to have to eventually knock off acst and stat (which can be both be done first year to do accg253.)

whereas isys123 is onyl a pre-req for accg250.

so its accg250 vs 253? anyone know which is better to do first?

alfonso22

HSC
why do you say it is not worth doing over the 14 credit points???

if it is just 15 credit points that is only one extra hour a week??...

does it really make that much difference doing 5 subjects in one semester??

and why do you sat 'complete genius' .. i mean if your good at the subjects are your going well in that area why not do an extra subject???

Ademir

HSC
Much thanks to glitterfairy, this was extremely helpful. However, there's still one thing bugging me.

Even after I've followed all my degree requirements (BA LLB), and made the timetable, I've only got about 3 units on per semester throughout the 5 years (on average). This seems slightly dodgy, I would expect to be doing at least 5 based on common sense.

And yet, I've fulfilled all these requirements:

74 cp with a law prefix
33 with a non-law prefix, including a major etc. for the BA, for which Ive fulfilled all the reqs too (12 cp at level 300 for HIST units, 18 cp of level 300 units total)
116 cp total

what am I missing? or do i really only have that few units through the whole 5 years?

id appreciate any help.

heres the link for the BA LLB degree at macq:

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/degree.php?edition=2008&id=21122

Im quite confused. thanks in advance :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
you'll probably have it easy first year, but from there on in, I would've thought you'd be struggling with the amount of LAW units you'd be doing which are all prescribed? (close to at least 2-3 per semester I would've thought)

Ademir

HSC
I think its about 2 per semester till 4th year, where it becomes all law units.

still, my timetable didnt quite turn out how I expected. it looks weird. I mustve done something wrong.

<starts re-doing it to include roughly equal number of units each semester>

nikmueller

HSC
wow G_F that was amazing! gold handbook advice

How many subjects you do a semester depends on the credit points. doing 5 subjects a semester is full-on if they are 3cp each, and insane if they are 4cp

To do even 4 x 4cp subjects in a semester you have to get special consideration because it is above the recommended amount of study

Don't stress to much about the course. Remember as much as you plan everything, life happens and stuff changes. I got put back a semester cause of a buggered surgery and that flipped my whole degree out

Steph 3:16

HSC
Thanks so much, this thread has been sooo helpful. I just have a couple of questions that I was hoping I could get some help with.

Firstly, in regards to tutorials, how long do they run for? Timetables show a starting time, but not a finishing time. Can I assume that they run for 1 hour each?

Also, this might be a stupid question but, is it cutting it tight if I have classes back to back to one another. E.g. A lecture finishing at 2 and a practical starting at 2. Do we have much time to get to classes?

Lastly, I’m starting my Bachelor in Human Resource Management this year and we are required to do PSY104 and SOC175 which have lecture times that clash. I was going to just do that SOC 175 lecture 1 in the evening but I heard that if I choose to do that, the whole unit needs to be completed in the evening. I.e. lecture 2 and the tutorial too. Is this true? Would it be better if I leave SOC175 for next year (it’s not offered in Semester 2)

Thanks so much for your help.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
Steph 3:16 said:
Thanks so much, this thread has been sooo helpful. I just have a couple of questions that I was hoping I could get some help with.

Firstly, in regards to tutorials, how long do they run for? Timetables show a starting time, but not a finishing time. Can I assume that they run for 1 hour each?

Yep most tutes run for 1 hour.
Also, this might be a stupid question but, is it cutting it tight if I have classes back to back to one another. E.g. A lecture finishing at 2 and a practical starting at 2. Do we have much time to get to classes?
Classes start 5 past the hour and finish 5 to the hour, e.g. from 10.05 to 10.55.

HSC
glitterfairy said:
The levels often roughly go with year of study, but not always (they're more indicative of level of difficulty... sort of). Especially if you have more 200-level units than you can fit in a year, then obviously you'll have to spread them over more than a year.
i can't find where it says the 100, 200, 300 etc level units for ancient history (in a BA degree) or law >_<

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
See how units begin with a 1xx, or a 2xx, or a 3xx, or 4xx, 5xx ?

Ademir

HSC
Question:

If im doing a BA LLB, do I have to fulfill the requirements that are also part of the straight BA degree?

That is, I know I have to do the "coherent study" for history, which is 12 cp at 300 level in Hist, ahist and aust units, but do I also need the general BA requirements? Like 18 cp in level 300 units overall? Im pretty sure I cant fit it in. And I definitely cant fit in 68 cp for the whole degree in regards to arts units.

Also, the coherent study for history = a history major? right? Just so Im not missing something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)