• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

confused- help please? (1 Viewer)

cricket_freak

HSC
hay there guys,
i have had a head ache trying to compare the 2005/06 HSC syllabus to my schools eco text book(Australia in the Global economy-2003 edition). can anyone please tell me a better alternative book for the HSC with the latest statistics that would be better suited for the syllabus to help me summarise and understand. if you do know any book that is better please do not hesitate.

pl give me bok name and author/s.

thanks

cricket_freak

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Hmm, probably first things first is that Economic Theory never changes, its always the same, i.e. Globalisation,etc

Though the only thing that does change in Leading Edge books are its statistics, you don't really need to know the latest stats, because you can always recap the latest stuff at www.leadingedge.com.au However as for many other flows, you can use any stats like from 2004 or even 2003, though I suppose having the latest stats does in a way give the examiner a good impression.

I would suggest you to buy the 2006 Leading Edge book, don't get the red one, since its a 2005, always buy the latest ones. Though, a good book would be the orange one --> Bulmer.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Rekkusu said:
Though, a good book would be the orange one --> Bulmer.

Yes, One youve got the basics covered, the 3 Bulmer books are certainly the best and give you the edge over others.

Regarding statistics, i wouldnt use the textbook as a source for the latest stats. Read the papers, watch the ABC finance section, keep track of the stickied "Current Economic Data & Issues" thread etc for that kind of information. For my HSC, i used the textbook only as a source that explained the theory. By the time of the HSC exams come, textbook stats will be over a year old. I ended up sourcing most of my current economic information from the RBA quartery statement that was issued just 2 days before the exam.

But yes, The bulmer book is certainly the most comprhensive. However it dosent quite follow the syllabus, and can get confusing iof you dont understand the basic concepts. (I havent used other textbooks, but i would imagine the others are good for the basic stuff) To be honest, following the syllabus word for word in economics is shooting youself in the foot. Economics requires you to understand the relationships between various apects of it and be able to relate that to current conditions. Learning the economics in a linear manner, does not appreciate the complexity of economic relationships and matters.

The Three Bulmer books:

Updated Economics Part A Bulmer 1876915110 Bulmer & Chapman
Updated Economics Part B Bulmer 1876915129 Bulmer & Chapman
Updated Economics Part C Bulmer 1875915137 Bulmer & Chapman

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)