Confused? (1 Viewer)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Well my problem is that I'm doing my HSC this year and still haven't worked out my subject selections. Yes, it's VERY late but I just couldn't decide what to drop. At the moment I do 13 units.

Physics is one of the subjects I might drop. I don't know why, I rank pretty well, kinda in the top 4, plus it's a pretty challenging class of only 7. But Physics is the only subject where I feel like I know NOTHING at all! I mean I'm one of the very few who do their hw and stuff but I still feel so .. uncomfortable with the subject. I done quite well in prelim ranking 2nd in yearlies but still. Especially with the first topic, it looks easy and all, but when I get to doing it all on my own I just feel like all my answers will be wrong and all.

The other subject I may want to drop is Engineering Studies. So should I keep both as they overlap or would dropping one be a stupid move ?

Plus I dont know why, but I'm unsure to estimate what I would get in the HSC. I mean it could range from like 70s to even 90 if I'm lucky but I keep thinking I'll only get the in the mid 70's because of my uneasiness for the subject. So tell me .. is the physics exam like extremely hard or anything ? How hard would it be to get like 80s in a physics exam compared to that of a maths 3u or a chem exam ?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I think you should try and keep both subjects first until the half-yearlies The ranks and marks that you'll get, along with the advice of teachers and friends, AFTER the exams will be a good indication of what you should do.

One day you might feel that you know nothing about Physics, and the next day you'll feel that you know the information back to front :) I think its a matter of self-confidence, practice and just effort.

Is 13 units quite demanding for you at the moment? If so, you might consider dropping a sub. But if you're dropping it for the sake of it and for the thoughts you have right now (which will contrast when you get back to school routine!), I'd say wait first :)

twilight1412

HSC
hahhahahhaa engineering physics chem and maths nice =D
all 4 overlap to some extent lololol *speaks from experience*
since you have 13 you have a back up incase you screw one of your exams over
so i would keep it unless you think studying for the subject is taking up too much time

although IMO engineering requires no study time

munchiecrunchie

HSC
hey i'm in the same boat. i'm doing 13 units and probably should drop something, but i don't know what. and physics may be one of them. not sure, i keep changing my mind every few days. . .

i think you should follow kujah's advice. ranks after half yearlies will give a better indication of your strengths and weaknesses. . . although bear in mind keeping all your units means less time to focus on each subject compared to 11 units.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
You know sle3pe3bumz, I was in a similar position to you almost one year ago.
Projectile motion was a real nightmare to me in HSC Physics which put me off to a bad start.
I was also 4th out of the whole class throughout the middle of the HSC period.
But then I applied myself with diligence not witnessed by my Physics peers which allowed me to eventually gain 1st place in my Physics class.

I found I was better off focusing on my best 10 units hence I dropped additional units at the beginning of the HSC, but it depends on you and what you want to do next year.

I would have liked to have studied Engineering Studies if it was offered at my school since I will be studying Engineering at university, however if your desired university course does not have Engineering Studies as a prerequisite or recommendation, then dropping it should not place you at a disadvantage.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Forbidden. said:
You know sle3pe3bumz, I was in a similar position to you almost one year ago.
Projectile motion was a real nightmare to me in HSC Physics which put me off to a bad start.
I was also 4th out of the whole class throughout the middle of the HSC period.
But then I applied myself with diligence not witnessed by my Physics peers which allowed me to eventually gain 1st place in my Physics class.

I found I was better off focusing on my best 10 units hence I dropped additional units at the beginning of the HSC, but it depends on you and what you want to do next year.

I would have liked to have studied Engineering Studies if it was offered at my school since I will be studying Engineering at university, however if your desired university course does not have Engineering Studies as a prerequisite or recommendation, then dropping it should not place you at a disadvantage.
@ forbidden: struggling with physics? =p

@ OP: I did 14 units and I didn't regret a single bit of it. I look at it as a way of challenging myself. To see how much am I really capable of doing.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
twilight1412 said:
hahhahahhaa engineering physics chem and maths nice =D
all 4 overlap to some extent lololol *speaks from experience*
since you have 13 you have a back up incase you screw one of your exams over
so i would keep it unless you think studying for the subject is taking up too much time

although IMO engineering requires no study time
Engineering at university will eat practically a lot of your time.

xiao1985 said:
@ forbidden: struggling with physics? =p

@ OP: I did 14 units and I didn't regret a single bit of it. I look at it as a way of challenging myself. To see how much am I really capable of doing.
ill wait till uni physics comes

twilight1412

HSC
Forbidden. said:
Engineering at university will eat practically a lot of your time.
i know =D
but i got through engineering studies quite well with only my knowledge of chemistry and physics since calculations dont go much further than prelim =D
the jump to uni will be noticable but we'll see how it goes
which uni and are you doing a double degree?
im planning on uts engineering/science
majoring in mechatronics and nanotech <--- hopefully

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
twilight1412 said:
i know =D
but i got through engineering studies quite well with only my knowledge of chemistry and physics since calculations dont go much further than prelim =D
the jump to uni will be noticable but we'll see how it goes
which uni and are you doing a double degree?
im planning on uts engineering/science
majoring in mechatronics and nanotech <--- hopefully
5 days of full-time engineering lectures, tutorials and laboratory work at UNSW for 4 years is enough, I wouldn't want to complicate things with a double degree.
I could major in electrical by the 2nd year but I'm not too keen with the Maths within it.

twilight1412

HSC
yes .. i heard the maths in electrical is crazy .. oh well
mine is ... 5 or 6 years full time + 1 or 2 year internships depending on whether or not i choose to do one for each

bjbouassi

HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
Well my problem is that I'm doing my HSC this year and still haven't worked out my subject selections. Yes, it's VERY late but I just couldn't decide what to drop. At the moment I do 13 units.
jan.

Same situation.

You do great in physics, you know how i know?
I sit next to you!

I think the uncomfortable part with physics came from the projectiles and the calculations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)