Confused (1 Viewer)

azureus88

HSC
A particle is moving vertically downward in a medium which exerts a resistance to the motion whithc is proportional to the speed of the particle. The particle is released from rest at O and at time t its position is at a distance x below O and its speed is v.

isnt the equation of motion v(dv/dx)=g-(kv/m)

but the only way the question works out is when the equation is v(dv/dx)=g-kv

Can someone please explain?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
is 'm' the mass?

when something 'a' is proportional to 'v' say, it simply means:

where 'k' is simply the 'constant of proportionality'.

in the case of yr example: acceleration = v(dv/dx) = g - kv where positive is taken to be downwards. equally valid you could have used: v(dv/dx) = g + kv in which case this k would simply have an opp sign to the earlier version. In the conventional approach, u use 'g - kv' where k is deemed positive and the '-' reflect that the resistance is going against the direction of 'g'.

anyway you should not have had the 'm' in yr formula.

azureus88

HSC
The question says "resistance is proportional to velocity". This implies R=kv. If we choose downwards as positive then F=mg-kv=ma (F being total force and "a" being acceleration)

rearranging the equation, v(dv/dx)=a=g-(kv/m)

Isnt that right?

yeh, "m" is mass by the way.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
yours is not quite wrong; it simply means 'my' k is now yr (k/m) and this is just (albeit a composite one) another constant of proportionality. You should still be able to solve the problem. The way we usually formulate the soln here is like this:

a = g - kv

Therefore: ma = mg - mkv

rather than your way, although it is not incorrect.

and u don't need to use the force version to solve yr problem; i.e. simply use a = v(dv/dx) = g - kv

Got it ?

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
Normally, what i do is start with yours, so v(dv/dt) = g - (kv/m)

Then, to make it easier, i say let k/m = K, but there should be an m in there im quite sure. Yours should be right azureus. Where was the question from?

azureus88

HSC
yeh ok i get it. Not sure where the question is from, it was just from a worksheet i happen to have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)