Confusion About Related Texts for Frontline (1 Viewer)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I have a little question that I've been pondering for awhile. I just need a confirmation, I guess.

Anyway, when choosing related texts, should we be aiming for a "text" that is the blatant misrepresentation of the truth (E.g. Channel Ten news or something similar) or should it be a "text" that discusses media ethics and uncovers the truth about journalism practices?

Basically, I'm confused as to which perspective we are meant to be searching for texts from? Do we use a text that allows to investigate the way it distorts the truth and misprepresents the facts? Or do we use a text that is attempting to reveal and explain the "insiders" story of the media industry already?

I hope I wasn't too confusing :(

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
I have a little question that I've been pondering for awhile. I just need a confirmation, I guess.

Anyway, when choosing related texts, should we be aiming for a "text" that is the blatant misrepresentation of the truth (E.g. Channel Ten news or something similar) or should it be a "text" that discusses media ethics and uncovers the truth about journalism practices?

Basically, I'm confused as to which perspective we are meant to be searching for texts from? Do we use a text that allows to investigate the way it distorts the truth and misprepresents the facts? Or do we use a text that is attempting to reveal and explain the "insiders" story of the media industry already?

I hope I wasn't too confusing :(
Channel Ten news :D

I smirked, I laughed, I came, I left.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Ziff said:
Channel Ten news :D

I smirked, I laughed, I came, I left.

Change that to: "I smirked, I laughed, I came, I spammed, I left" :p

Does anybody else have something a little more enlightening to add to this? :)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Maybe I was a little confusing after all...

To sum up: Do we use a text that is misrepresenting the truth? Or should we use a text that is attempting to UNCOVER the truth (similar to Frontline style I guess)?

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
umm as long as u can answer everything in the syllabus u can use either i guess..
as in exploring the processes by which statements come to be accepted as true... question who has the authority to make the statements.. examine ways in which statements are explored, tested, endorsed or refuted
the texts im using.. im not sure if they fit into either of those though..
one is a poem which shows the propaganda the media did in ww2.. one is a cartoon which is saying that everything in the world we live in is a lie.. and the other is a song that pretty much says that the media is full of lies and we need to find out the truth ourselves..
not sure if i helped though..
[edit] this other line might help.. 'students develop a range of imaginative, interpretive and analytical compositions that relate to different forms and media of representation.. so yeh its pretty broad

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
hmmm I read the syllabus over and over and I still don't get it.

Perhaps, we can use both types? What if we use two texts which fall into Catagory 1 or two texts which fall into Catagory 2?

Catagory 1 = Texts puporting to tell the truth but are, in fact, representing the facts.

Catagory 2 = Texts which are attempting to uncover the truth and challenge the authority in the media.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
well i guess it would be better having texts from different categories because then you have more different points to talk about in an essay or something.. and through using the different texts hopefully you will cover the syllabus points in some way hehe

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Thanks Monika :)

Damnit. I have two texts that fit into Catagory A.

I better look for a text for Cat. B quick smart...*switched on Channel Ten for the Late News* hahaha

BTW, it is unlikely that Module C will be an essay.

Is anybody sure about the perspectives that oru related texts are supposed to take though?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
most of mine were misinterpretations of the truth, but i used ones that uncover media ethics to back up what i was saying. Chris Masters, "Not For Publication" is good

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
iambored said:
most of mine were misinterpretations of the truth, but i used ones that uncover media ethics to back up what i was saying. Chris Masters, "Not For Publication" is good
How many related texts did you end up using?!

Since we only need two, would it be ok to use one that is a direct misrepresentation of the truth and contrast it to a text that uncovers the corruption of media ethics?

Last edited:

Candypants

I reckon you can use either or. I'm doing a film where the truth is withheld from the public from this and that reason, like frontline, and a feature article which talks about a journalist who distorted the truth to sell more magazines. You can use one of each, or two of one, whatever. Because you're concentratin on telling the truth, it doesn't matter which way you look at it.

[Edit]

Okay, I should have read your above message.
Yes, I think that would be a good idea to use one of each. But it's entirely up to you. It would shake things up a bit.

Just to be sure, it's probably a good idea to have about 3 supplementary texts, but learn 2 in depth. Its possible (but rare) that they'll ask for 3; but I doubt it.

Last edited:

olay

HSC
oh i actually asked the same question in class last wk...

my teacher said that we were supposed to use texts that "analyses" how truth is represented in the media.

frazzle

HSC
"my teacher said that we were supposed to use texts that "analyses" how truth is represented in the media." - olay

does that mean texts uncovering the misinterpretation of truth?

and also, this module isn't just about the media, it's about telling the truth in general. i guess you could focus on the media, since it's where society turns to be informed. should we look for texts that bend the truth not related to media?

"most of mine were misinterpretations of the truth, but i used ones that uncover media ethics to back up what i was saying. Chris Masters, "Not For Publication" is good" - iambored

i have that book, the author is the guy on four corners. the thing is, isn't it a bit too similar to frontline? both unveiling the media's blatant misrepresentation of truth?

arghh i have my modules trial on monday!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)