confusion over combined law course (1 Viewer)

jgeo2000

HSC
im a bit lost...
with individual courses your allowed electives from whatever takes your fancy.. do you still get those electives if you do a combined law course? im hoping so becasue i wouldn't mind dabbling in completely unrelated areas.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
jgeo2000 said:
with individual courses your allowed electives from whatever takes your fancy.. do you still get those electives if you do a combined law course? im hoping so becasue i wouldn't mind dabbling in completely unrelated areas.
no you aren't. you have to follow the program and you can't do gen-eds.

yes you get electives but those are electives from your degrees.

the only more flexible combined program is arts/law.

santaslayer

HSC
melsc said:
maybe thats why mine is coz its Soc Sci / Law?
Probably.

But in general, no. You won't have time to do any geneds.

Unless you're doing a straight law degree. There might be some room to do so. Not sure though.

jgeo2000

HSC
damn it! that makes my choice all the much more dificult....grrrr
it says at newie with economics u can do minor studies in areas like mathematics, modern languages, philosophy, politics, psychology etc...
I dont know what to do now if i get offered combined law cos economics can be just a bit boring... i do well at it but it is still a subject i'll fall asleep in.. any suggestions on what is a good course to combine law with? preferably one that is interesting and gets u a good job?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I would'nt worry about what will get you a good job...find a degree that interests you, often people who follow their interests do better in the degree, get better marks and thus get a good job. Do something you enjoy :)

jgeo2000

HSC
hmmmm still makes it hard lol i dont really enjoy doing anything to do with gaining an education... tossing up between economics/law, finance/law or arts/law...
i would enjoy doing economics law a whoel lot better if i could learn a modern language and do maybe maths, politics or philosophy

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Well for me I just wanted to do law on its own...however it is only offered at UTS and I didnt like the look of the course plus I knew I would never get the UAI. Eventually I liked the look of Criminology so thats why I think I will do social science and major in criminology. If you were to do Arts there would be quite a few majors to choose from, so I guess if you arent sure that might be a good one?

jgeo2000

HSC
i think i need to call the univeristy lol but last time i did that they couldn't tell me... i'll keep trying till someone knows :)
if minor studies are allowed in combined law at newcastle then i'll definately do economics but if not im not sure maybe i'll have to do arts just to keep sane? i dunno so confusing.. i was also thinking if i didn't like combined law i would try get into medicine but i dont want to be stuck at uni for that long...

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
And 5 years isn't long?? Unless you want to be an economist or go into a finance related career, go with arts/law.

butterflybird

HSC
melsc said:
I was told for my course I can but that is at UWS. I think it depends on the Uni and course.
i'll be doing communications/law at UWS and i know you don't get communications electives - to accommodate the extra degree

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I'm not a 100% sure...but I remember the lady telling me that if I did a Criminilogy major I could pick other subjects such as Psycology units etc... although she may have forgotten I was studying law as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)