Confusion regarding syllabus terminologies (1 Viewer)

Leadmen4y

HSC
Okay so here are the two phrases commonly used in the sciences' syllabi,

"including but not limited to:..." and "for example:...", usually followed by a bunch of subpoints.

Here's an example for "including but not limited to" retreived from the biology syllabus:
1629248285438.png
And here's an example for "for example", also retrieved from the biology syllabus:
1629248376777.png

So obviously when it says "including but not limited to" it's saying that you MUST study everything listed in the sub-dotpoints, but what does it mean when it says "for example"? Does it mean we don't have to pick those examples? Can we just do one of them? Or is it the same of "including but not limited to"?

Thanks in advance!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not entirely sure about this, but the fact that this syllabus dot point says "the response of a named Australian plant to a named pathogen" most likely indicates that you're only meant to cover one of the sub dot points, with the two sub dot points below given as examples that you can use. "For example" in this case might imply that there are other pathogens that you can explore/cover, meaning you're probably not limited to either of the given pathogens.

I hope this helps! :D

Leadmen4y

HSC
I'm not entirely sure about this, but the fact that this syllabus dot point says "the response of a named Australian plant to a named pathogen" most likely indicates that you're only meant to cover one of the sub dot points, with the two sub dot points below given as examples that you can use. "For example" in this case might imply that there are other pathogens that you can explore/cover, meaning you're probably not limited to either of the given pathogens.

I hope this helps! :D
Thanks Jimmy! Always so helpful haha XD

zizi2003_

HSC
Okay so here are the two phrases commonly used in the sciences' syllabi,

"including but not limited to:..." and "for example:...", usually followed by a bunch of subpoints.

Here's an example for "including but not limited to" retreived from the biology syllabus:
View attachment 31653
And here's an example for "for example", also retrieved from the biology syllabus:
View attachment 31654

So obviously when it says "including but not limited to" it's saying that you MUST study everything listed in the sub-dotpoints, but what does it mean when it says "for example"? Does it mean we don't have to pick those examples? Can we just do one of them? Or is it the same of "including but not limited to"?

Thanks in advance!
Honestly i'd have examples for both fungal and viral pathogens up my sleeve coz i've seen many trial papers that ask a plant's response to a specific viral and/or fungal pathogen. So just have notes for all dot points under the 'for example' in case

Leadmen4y

HSC
For all the syllabus dot points you’ve shown. You need to cover all of them. If the syllabus says for example, then you MUST cover all those examples in detail. With the plants I’ve seen many questions about both fugal and viral pathogens.
is it from hsc papers?

Leadmen4y

HSC
Yea but you don’t know that the hsc won’t test you it. The first trial I did, I was like wtf are some of these questions. But when you do all the trial papers, you learn the content even better.
The trial papers don’t go syllabus, they just make you see it in a different perspective. My friends selective school builds exams called “band 9”. Exams which are harder than the hsc.
So their students smash the hsc, cus they’ve done harder exams
you may have mistaken my point, more difficult exams and exams that tests you on THINGS YOU DON'T KNOW are different.

Say there's a question on the structure of DNA, a hard question would probably try to combine it with processes of DNA replication, genetic variation, mutations etc to test the student's ability to apply his biology knowldge. While a question that doesn't belong in HS would ask something like "explain the bonding between nucleotides (not nitrogenous bases)", and it would require you to know things that you don't need to know like phosphodiester bonding along with dehydration synthesis which is entry biochemistry stuff.

Leadmen4y

HSC
I’ve never encountered a question on the trials that was very off syllabus. Except one that wanted me to add the chemical structures of haemoglobin.

And if you see something that you truly think is off syllabus as mentioned, then just skip the question and move on. That’s not a valid reason to lose faith in trials all together
yeah of course I'm still doing trial papers its just it comes back to my question regarding the whole "for example" and "including but not limited to" terminology lmao might have to email nesa or something

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)