Confusion with Area of Study (Belonging) (1 Viewer)

bro66404

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I am currently in Year 12 and I'm really confused about the Area of Study-'Belonging' in the HSC English course, and would be really grateful for some advice from past HSC students.

In terms of revision for the essay section of the AOS paper, are you supposed to create a thesis statement in relation to each rubric statement, for example; one of identity, acceptance, understanding etc. Or are you supposed to have one universal/general thesis on belonging that you can adapt to whatever the question is?

Also, once you have developed a thesis statement, how do you dissect your thesis statement as to allow for the discussion of different ideas in each body paragraph?

I feel that if I was presented with a question, for example: 'An individual's perception of belonging evolve in response to the passage of time and interaction with their world', I would struggle to firstly create a thesis without restating the question and then secondly I would find it hard structure a synthesised response to the question.

Thanks very much!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe it helps to have not only very broad thesis statements, but more specific ones with aspects of belonging and more specific ones about your prescribed and related. Then you are confortable to talk about aspects of your texts at ease and writing an essay that nails the question.

With the different ideas, they way you can incorporate it really depends on what you've set u[, one way that can work is "Prescribed text lens this discussion of what was stated in the thesis through the exploration of X, Y and Z".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)