Conical Pendulum... help please. (1 Viewer)

wkim7

HSC
1)A particle of mass 5g is attached to one end of metre long string and the other end is fixed to a point on a smooth horizontal table. The particle rotates in a circular path with a speed of 2m/s.
i. Find angular velocity, w, in rad/sec
ii. Find centripetal acceleration, in m/s^2
iii. Find tension in the string in newtons.

2)A particle P of mass 2kg moves in a horizontal circle in contact with a smooth table. The particle is joined by a taut(tense) string of length 1.5m to a fixed point O on the table.
i. Find the tension T in the string if the particle completes a revolution in 5seconds
ii. The string can just support a mass of 6kg without breaking if the mass hangs vertically. Find the maximum linear velocity of the particle around the circle without the string breaking.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

barbernator

HSC
the majority of these are just substituting straight into a formula. have a look in your textbook.

i) angular velocity refers to the angle travelled in a second, ie dtheta/dt. As the radius is 1m, the circumference is 2pi. The velocity is 2m/s, so the particle will be covering 2/2pi of the circumference per second and hence 2/2pi x 2pi radians per second, ie 2 rad/sec.

ii) F=ma=mv^2/r. therefore a=v^2/r = 4

iii) F=ma=4x5g=4x0.005kg=0.02N

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)