Conquering Chemistry-eutrophication (1 Viewer)

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
is that the textbook which gives the wrong definition of it??

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
There have been about 6 threads on Eutrophication. Refer to them to see if the definition you have learnt is correct.

xeriphic

eutrophication is the presence of nutrients enriches waterways which allow aquatic plants to grow abundantly, that's the definition I know

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
xeriphic: Thats only half.
Eutrophication occurs when excess nutrients are pumped into a waterway, this stimulates the growth of organisms above the normal levels. When the nutrient supply ceases, there is not enough food to maintain the level of organisms, hence the waterway, effectively, die.

Paroissien

HSC
xeriphic is technically right. The death of the waterway is a cause of eutrophication

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
which results in oxygen being consumed by the rotting crap.

Paroissien

HSC
No the algae consumes the oxygen, causing it to die. It is the dead algae that provides the right conditions for bacteria which release toxins into the water, killing everything

lucyinthehole

so basically:

excess nutrients --> growth of algae --> all oxygen consumed --> algae dies --> increased numbers of bacteria --> toxins --> everything generally bad

???

meyero

HSC
How does the algae consume the oxygen? they are plants which should create oxygen through photosynthesis or am i just confused?

lucyinthehole

meyero said:
How does the algae consume the oxygen? they are plants which should create oxygen through photosynthesis or am i just confused?
algae are cyanobacteria... i'm not sure what that means though... good point o_O

meyero

HSC
just looked it up in "atish's" notes and it gives the following explanation for eutrophication

Increase of algae in waterways --> algae grow at the surface reducing light for normal water-plants below – these die --> Increased number of bacteria of decay which consume oxygen --> Water becomes oxygen depleted --> End with a smelly pond covered with green scum.

LSP

HSC
meyero said:
increase number in Cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) undergoes respiration which consumes dissolved oxygen in the night. Probably algae also undergoes respiration

LSP

HSC
lucyinthehole said:
algae are cyanobacteria... i'm not sure what that means though... good point o_O
Green algae do not release toxic gas. However, in algal blooms blue-green algae is present which releases toxic gas, or poisons. This blue-green algae is called a cyanobacteria. Not algae

lucyinthehole

eth said:
Algae consume oxygen thru photosynthesis
you don't so biology do you? cos then you're screwed. photosynthesis takes water, carbon dioxide and sunlight and turns it into nutrients/energy for the plant and oxygen as a waste product

meyero

HSC
yes, but the algal bloom blocks sunlight which prohibits the formation of o2 by photosynthesis :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)