Conservatoriums - GENERAL: Entry, atmosphere, auditions etc. (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Music Studies is the only 3 year course, and yes, I'm assuming your B Music Studies/B Arts COMBINED is what you're talking about. I would have done it if I could turn back time. I was just iffy about a whole 6 years, and now, 2 years have already blasted by.

If anything, it gives you more career options, I feel. Its a real music course yes, it just means you may not do the full performance workload, or the full composition workload (ie reach up to Composition 8) and that you will be doing literally, 2 courses at once (although I know for a fact that you can defer one: my friend defered her arts degree by a semester and kept did a load of music at the con for that semester)

Phanatical, a particular BoS member is doing B Mus/B Arts currently, you should PM him for a full detailed idea of it (that is if my future thread doesn't come in handy :)) He also transfered from a B Music (Composition) to a B Mus/B Arts, so he's had both worlds.

Music Studies is much easier to get to than B Mus (Composition) i can tell you that. If you want a specific number of places, then I'll ask the con tomorrow. But I know quite a few of my friends doing a B Music Studies. Oh, and you HAVE to do Music as one of your majors in B Arts, studying at the main campus with Matt Hindson lol (and another subject of your choosing eg Anthropology)

Hope this is all helpful!

Last edited:

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Thanks immensely, ur_inner_child! If you could ask about the number of places, that would be great!

ur_inner_child said:
Hope this is all helpful!
What can I say? Damn right it is.

EDIT: It seems that acceptance into the Music Studies course is in no way easier than that of the Composition one, as the class is the same, anyway.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
That's correct, whether you're completing Music Studies or Music (Composition), entry into the Composition major is competitive with approximately 20 places next year for quite a few more applicants.

If you cannot enter the Composition major straight away, there are a number of alternatives, including a Performance/Musicology/Music Education major with a transfer after a semester or two, or to apply for the BA (Music) and take Composition as part of the Arts Music major. In this case, you can apply for prior learning and receive exemptions from limited subjects - but you'll probably find you'll want to complete as much Composition (Major) as possible.

phatic

HSC
Hey, any QLD Conservatorium students out there?

I'm applying for B. Mus in Composition - auditions are just over a week away. Good luck to all other applicants!

Would anyone who has been through the audition process have any advice for the interview? Would be much appreciated. :)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The interview is the same for whichever Composition course you're applying for. Just make sure you research the staff at that institution, and tailor your "favourite composers" accordingly. For example, one of my classmates told Michael Smetanin that her favourite composer was Matthew Hindson, Smetanin's worst enemy. Then again, she Did get into the course. I think the key is, though, that the panel aren't going to be impressed one way or another with you because of your interview - it's an opportunity for them to find out a bit more about your musical tastes and whether they can cater for your needs. Where the portfolio etc. are designed to test your skills, the interview allows them to assess whether the course is suitable to you.

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
mis0705 said:
What about for performance? What's the interview like?
If you're a performance major, you get an audition and no interview. In the audition, you may be asked to do a few scales etc. You will only get an interview if you're a Composition, Musicology or Education student.

phatic

HSC
Thanks Phanatical. lol, I don't think they were impressed when I couldn't name any modern composers, and said that I liked Baroque music most of all. But anyways, I got in, so it's all good. :)

mis0705

Not a new member
HSC
Thanks inner_child. Also, just wondering, how many people (average) would the con accept for performance each year?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
mis0705 said:
Thanks inner_child. Also, just wondering, how many people (average) would the con accept for performance each year?
I'm not sure, but the Con is quite performance based/focused.

Guessing with the size of my year, I'll say 100 or something, both performance major and minor.

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
The interview is the same for whichever Composition course you're applying for. Just make sure you research the staff at that institution, and tailor your "favourite composers" accordingly. For example, one of my classmates told Michael Smetanin that her favourite composer was Matthew Hindson, Smetanin's worst enemy.
Oho! What would the "correct" answer have been, then? Wouldn't it seem slightly...pretentious to enter the interview gushing about how good Michael Smetanin is, even if it was true?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Michael Smetanin use to be great friends with Matt Hindson though...

Just be honest. Michael's not that scary, he's down to earth. I was so honest I even said "I can't rattle off my favourites. I'm too nervous right now and I can't believe I'm telling you!"

At the end of the interview they go "See you next year" which was such a blessing.

joy_sze

HSC
I would looooooove to do Performance at the Con. I know it can be difficult to get in... To make things worse, I play piano... Crazy competition!! All the new repertoire that has to be learnt after the HSC music pieces... Sigh...

Does anyone know how many people audition for piano each year and how many get in? Is there like a limit to the number of people they accept?

GRX40
HSC
N/A
According to a friend at the Con, there are approximately 4 piano spaces available. Also, Michael Smetanin is apparently quite drunk. o_0

joy_sze

HSC
Whoa 4... Someone shoot me!!

Mm... Where do people go if they don't get into the Con?? Anyone recommend UNSW?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
187 said:
According to a friend at the Con, there are approximately 4 piano spaces available. Also, Michael Smetanin is apparently quite drunk. o_0
what? is or was?

phatic

HSC
Hey ur_inner_child, I notice that you are doing the B. Mus in Composition. This is the same course and major that I will be doing (at QLD Con). May I ask, roughly how many hours per week this course takes up (including at home study, etc)? I'd just like to know roughly how much time I'll have to practise my instruments - whether it will be 10 minutes each day, or a few hours. :) Thanks very much.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
phatic said:
Hey ur_inner_child, I notice that you are doing the B. Mus in Composition. This is the same course and major that I will be doing (at QLD Con). May I ask, roughly how many hours per week this course takes up (including at home study, etc)? I'd just like to know roughly how much time I'll have to practise my instruments - whether it will be 10 minutes each day, or a few hours. :) Thanks very much.
Weekly, I have 15 contact hours at uni at the moment, not including breaks in between lectures. For study, well, I don't normally time my study. I think it averages out as an hour a night just on homework or reading through things. Composition major, well, I never regularly set out time, I just do a good amount each week.

But lately (ie crunch time of when my composition majorwork is due) I've spent a good 4-5 hours a day (28 - 35 hours a week) composing. Keep in mind thats me churning out stuff. That's generally how I seem to compose, very exponentially. Early on in the semester, I probably did 5 hours a week. So it depends on when in the semester I suppose, unless you're freakishly organised!

I use to be able to properly maintain my studies while having a part time job that was 20 hours a week. So I'm sure you could fit in 20 hours of practice time. I had to quit the job because my 15 hours of uni changed and spread across weird times of the day each semester.

Hope it helps!

phatic

HSC
Ah cool, thanks a lot. I won't be working at all, so it looks like there will be plenty of time for practise. :) Though I will be living about 1½ hours from uni, so hopefully it'll only be 3 days rather than 5. I guess that would change each year (or semester?) too... :/

As for time spent composing though, that seems quite a lot! Could you perhaps give me an idea of roughly how much you have to compose for the course? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks so much for your help - it's really good to have some idea of what I'm in for these next few years. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)