Consider this -- Is all you need a degree? (1 Viewer)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
ahhhhh.......but dosent that come back to the 'facilities' (mentioned by CM_Tutor and the great KeyPadSM) in the particular uni they came from?
This discussion is beginning to look like the dog chasing his own tail..:p
well say ur sitting for the umat in your first year- then they don't care abt. facilities, they'll only care abt. marks i'm guessing. :p

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
Or is it coming to the notion that the top would be the top anywhere, but there's a fair amount of variability in average?
hmmmmm... interesting..

yes, you are probably right AGAIN!

i hate it when i try to sound all deep and , it makes me sound gay! :p

but assuming all other things being equal, except the uni in question...then what would happem.....hmmm.....

santaslayer

HSC
(note: u can decline to answer anymore of my stoopid 'what ifs', im becomming a real dickhead now...LoLz)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
hey CM, another q....lol, dont ya love 'em!!!!

a few of us were talking the other day, about how self conscious we feel handing our work in, because we have this ingrained notion that when you're in uni your work should be all sophisticated and stuff...do the academics care? like, do they realise that we're first year and accept that as a fact of life that we suck at writing, or do they roll their eyes everytime they read a shoddy piece of work?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Hipsta_jess, work at Uni isn't so much about sophisticated presentation, it's about a quality answer to the question posed, presented in a balanced, clear, concise way, and supported by approriate evidence. An answer need not be sophisticated, but it should be thoughtful.

I think academics do object to shoddy work - certainly they object if it is obviously a rush job that does not show any serious thought about the topic, and where the subtext is 'you're so stupid you won't know that this is rubbish, and will give me marks anyway'. However, work that shows that misconceptions exist - ie. where you have made a genuine effort, but simply don't seem to understand what was being taught - is of concern to academics, as it suggests there may be a problem with their teaching. Almost all academics I know want people to do well, and while one essay where the student missed the point suggests a problem with the student, 40 of them (say) suggests a problem that the academic needs to address.

Certainly, academics do take into account standards when marking - an answer from a first year not be expected to show the same level of sophisticated understanding as might be expected from an honours student.

They also know that some people have an "I need 50 to pass, so 51 or above means I did too much work" - such an attitude is to be discouraged.

Does this answer your question?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
yeah...i think so...thanks...

it wasnt so much that i didnt put any effort in or anything like that...just that i had this preconceived notion that 'oh, i'm at uni now, and i have to sound all sophisticated in my writing style' and then when i read it, it sounded to me as if a ten yr old could have written it...
hopefully they can over look that!

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Good writing should be clear, concise, informative, often persuasive - it should show some insight into the issue under discussion. Some people have more extensive vocabularies, and are more confidant with newly encountered concepts, but that doesn't mean writing without these things cannot be good. A friend of mine is now doing a post-Doc at an Ivy league University in the US, with a internationally respected academic. She is gifted in her field, and her PhD made a substantial contribution. Despite this, her writing is not good - but it is improving. If you want to improve your writing, my advice is practice. Go through what you have written, and ask yourself what you don't like, and why - and then try and improve it. Ask a friend whose writing you like to comment honestly. Ask an academic you respect for some feedback. There are plenty of ways to work on an issue like this one.

Also, always remember that good writing should cast a light onto the issue under discussion. Unless you are in politics, it should not attempt to obscure an issue in shaddow. Some Uni students write in ways that are very jargon-laden, full of complex polysyllabic terms, and produce a product that seems impenetrable, or obscure or prententious. This is not good writing - and if done to impress an academic, it will likely fail (to impress, I mean).

santaslayer

HSC
Some people have more extensive vocabularies, and are more confidant with newly encountered concepts

Also, always remember that good writing should cast a light onto the issue under discussion. Unless you are in politics, it should not attempt to obscure an issue in shaddow. Some Uni students write in ways that are very jargon-laden, full of complex polysyllabic terms, and produce a product that seems impenetrable, or obscure or prententious. This is not good writing - and if done to impress an academic, it will likely fail (to impress, I mean).
1) Namely, You! :p

2) Yea, thats the first thing our tutor said to us about our writing style. not to be obscure and try to twist the point which most people believe should happen in Law. But she said to be clear, concise and straight to the point, making sure to use jargon ONLY when appropriate, and not out of trying to impress.

Collin

HSC
N/A
All the other stuff, but also the university they attended. A credit average of one subject off one particular university may not be of parity of correspondence to another.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by JKDDragon
All the other stuff, but also the university they attended. A credit average of one subject off one particular university may not be of parity of correspondence to another.
Originally posted by santaslayer
sorry?.......:p
i think what their saying is a credit at say USYD may = a distinction at UWS (for example)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
i think what their saying is a credit at say USYD may = a distinction at UWS (for example)
Don't let the people on the 'what Uni are you going to' thread hear you say that :)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Don't let the people on the 'what Uni are you going to' thread hear you say that :)
hey, its JKD's theory, not mine ;)

HSC
N/A
lol!!
I think it might be true though!...the theory

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
hey, its JKD's theory, not mine ;)
Possibly, but that would've involved more quoting, and typing, and ... :)

PS: If they appear, it'll be your quote that gets the reponse

PPS: I did leave in your "I think what their (sic.) saying" bit. :p

Collin

HSC
N/A
Of course it's true. I would much prefer a distinction in BScience in say UNSW than UWS*^.

*No offence to UWS undergraduates.
^Assuming BScience is available at UWS.

santaslayer

HSC
Of course it's true. I would much prefer a distinction in BScience in say UNSW than UWS*^.

Eh, actually, yea there IS a B Science (Advanced) course in UWS and funnily enuff, it had the highest cutoff in 2003 (97.00 UAI), miles higher then the next rival Uni cutoff!......:p :D

santaslayer

HSC

Thats just so funni......"no offence to uws indergraduates" BUT

"sucked in to every uws GRADUATE and POST GRADUATE".....LoLz

sorry, im just putting words in peoples mouths......:p :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)