Considering doing Extension 2 English (1 Viewer)

dzdz

HSC
I'm confused on whether i want to do Extension 2 English or not.. Any particular advice i can get from people about the subject? My teacher said you must have alot of PASSION! and must be able to take criticism. Could anyone enlighten me on the subject?

dzdz

HSC
Sounds like it will be a good experience... Any advice you can give me about the subject?

dzdz

HSC
ah okay.... pretty much get the gist... THANKS!!

HSC
Agree with Rebekkie, + start your work as early as possible, gives you time in case you need to change concepts or whatever...like how i did...wasting a good 3 months of research/writing in the process:mad1:

Anyways, all the best =]

Jezzakar

HSC
My absolute best advice i can give you, given that my due date is fast approaching, do NOT, i repeat DO NOT include this in only 10 units. Do at least 12 because the worry about whether your story will be good enough is only increased by about a thousand when everything counts. Along with this, if you're a high stresshead, I don't suggest this subject. The amount of times I have cried about it outshines basically every single other school cry put together from kindergarten to year 12.
However, I would also like to add that this is a very rewarding subject. My actual story is done and I have the basics of my reflection statement. The amount of heart I have placed into this story means that whenever I've recieved a good review on my work, I've felt the need to dance.
Get ready to work, that's all I can say. Enjoy.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
not necessarily have a lot of PASSION. the criticism bit is true though. all the criticism you get is for your own good, so be able to appreciate that constructive criticism. i would also say you have to be able to manage time, and be able to write quite well and enjoy the workload. it is a lot of fun.

stillwaters

HSC
mhm
definitely must be able to take criticism... and don't be like me where i spent approx. one and a half terms whinging about how i had writer's block... you have to be able to manage time well... just make sure there's a non-negotiable block of time every week (or day) where you force yourself to write)
its fun, especially when there's other people doing it... and the in depth chats you have with both classmates and teachers are just awesome... and when you've somehow managed to make something after a year it's a really great feeling
the journey itself (gaah had advanced area of sdtudy trial today) is abit up and down... expect to feel disheartened and pissed off alot. the subject takes up more time than a one unit subject but it's worth it.

gemgem101

HSC
What is involved in the major study?
Im doing ext 1, and also considering taking ext 2 next term.
But Im a little wary now..
You guys made that sound really daunting.
=|

stillwaters

HSC
you get to choose from a form to do your major work in. so you can choose from short story, critical response, poetry, film, video, multimedia... speeches... there's a few other ones i cant remember
you have a word limit, or time limit depending on the form you choose. and basically, you spend the entire year working on it, researching it, you have a teacher who mentors you and can help you out. its also good because you can get one unit of your hsc out of the way because you hand in your project a few weeks before the actual hsc exams to be externally marked.
sorry about making it sound daunting >< (our teacher did that to us during our very first lesson and gave most of us panic attacks) it is hard work though/ or it takes some time but it's worth it

dzdz

HSC
thanks for all the advice. Seems like im really tempted to do it :) thanks all

IamSalvidor

HSC
N/A
I'd say give it a go. You can always drop if you don't like it.

I so wish I'd picked Extension maths and I regret that decision all the time. At least if I'd given it a go, then decided that I didn't like it, I could just think, well that wasn't for me.

It is an amazing course. Better than advanced and extension. You become so close to your class mates, and you're definately not alone.

So if your teacher thinks you can do it, I'd say try it for at least a month (I think this is the 'adjusting period') and if you hate it after then, then drop.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
You guys made me want to do it even more i really can't wait

There are going to be 2 of us in the class.

I like the idea of focusing on one thing for the year, that suits me. (eg. my BOW last year)

IamSalvidor

HSC
N/A
marcquelle said:
You guys made me want to do it even more i really can't wait

There are going to be 2 of us in the class.

I like the idea of focusing on one thing for the year, that suits me. (eg. my BOW last year)
Why did you come back?

tj08

HSC
Its so much harder than i imagained... its probably the subject i do the most out of school work for...and you have to be willing to re-do everything again and again...vene when you're perfectly happy with it... doesnt matter! It's rewarding definitely...but you have to have a lot of dedication and be able to handle criticism uber well... i didnt realise this at the start and i gave it to my teacher (who is anti violence but i didnt know that at the time) and my story has some horror and she read it and said 'my god your story is repulsive'. ouch! but you just have to take it in your stride... not like me... i cried a lot! haha. good luck :)

brookeemma

HSC
i wont lie, it is MASSIVE and DAUNTING and causes breakdowns ><

this is laregly due to the fact that i didnt listen to what anyone told me, and did hardly any work until june this year. dah. and am now paying the price.

read writers showcases! your school lib should have these. they give you an idea of what is expected, the options, etc etc. pick something you are interested in, as this will motivate you a lot (probably to the point where you wont want to work on anything else). SERIOUSLY set aside time each week... everyone told me this and i never did it. again, now paying the price. Make sure your teacher motivates you and forces you to hand in drafts.

(and keep 11/12 units so you can drop if it all goes horribly wrong!)
good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)