Considering Engineering Studies (1 Viewer)

waynejkruse10

HSC
I am considering engineering studies for Year 11. I will be probably pairing it up with Maths 3U, Advanced English 2U, Physics 2U, Chemistry 2U, Modern History 2U, + some sort of technology course. I am tossing up between Multimedia, Engineering studies, and Software Design Development. I have already completed one University accellerated course (Introduction to Engineering: GENG 1803) and starting another one (Intoduction to Software Engineering: SEND 1110) so I have a bit of background and interest in Engineering.

So far I have been getting a feel for these subjects by reading the online test papers and syllabuses and such...

Can any of you tell me a bit about your experiences with this subject?

Thanks
Wayne

Spon888

HSC
When I was in year 10 I did sort of have an interest towards Engineering, and the engineering reports are probably the most fun parts of the course. But what I found after nearly 2years is that its a course that has been watered down by the amount of history and writing that you have to do, ever since they changed it in 2001. As a result, it really is an 'easier' course compared to the other subjects you are doing, with a lot of common sense to it.

In terms of what I've actually learnt from it, nothing particularly new because you tend to find that because you have to learn 5 topics in one year, you skim a lot of the surface and don't really get into much detail.

If you're looking for a course that scales, then don't do this. I purely chose this course for the enjoyment factor, and because I wanted to do Engineering in Uni and wanted a feel for the course. But personally if you like it, then do it, you can of course drop this course whenever you like.

waynejkruse10

HSC
Spon888 said:
Thanks for your insight, I ended up choosing it along with the following subjects in priority order:

English 2U Advanced
Maths 2U Advanced - 1st
Maths Extension 1 - 2nd
Physics - 3rd
Engineering Studies - 4th
Modern History - 5th
Chemistry - 6th.

I think I will really enjoy this course, but I dont care much for scaling because if I flop at a subject I dont think I care much between a 50% and a 45% scaled, they are both crap marks.

Spon888

HSC
Solid choice of subjects, let us know how you find it next year.

And also another way of considering Engineering is to look at the past HSC papers. Although they only go from 2001 onwards, because they changed the course, its a very good guide as to tell if you really are interested in learning about the stuff.

Also, it also depends on the quality of your Engineering teacher/s. Although it is up to you do well in your HSC, teachers have a major impact on you're learning experience. So make sure you can get along with your teacher, otherwise it could be really dreadful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)