Construction Management (1 Viewer)

dilroy

HSC
Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone here is doing Construction Management in any university or is doing a similar job.

I am currently in year 12 and I'm thinking about doing the course at university myself, as it seems like an interesting, practical and attractive salary job.
However, the only thing I am concerned about are the labourers (who want to become builders). When I applied for a green card (legal access into a construction site) at my school, there were many Lebanese students applying for the card as well, most of the students who were applying are the idiots and troublemaking kind of kids.

Now I was just wondering if anyone working in the industry finds it difficult to put up with these type of people. I suppose the builders in the CBD would be better than those in the western Sydney region, but you need to start somewhere if you want to work your way up to the management position right?

pottsy44

HSC
i am about to start my bacholer of contruction management this year. in regards to the lebanese comment, i think that is a bad generalisation of things over the past months, although i can say from my enrolment day there did seem to be a few lebanese guys in the course.

in regard to working your way up into a managerial position in the contrcution industry, with a degree in a uni course for instince you are able to go straight into a managerial position, but you will most likely be apart of a team and be a 'junior' in the team.

well this is how i see it from what ive read and learned so far.

dilroy

HSC
I see, I didn't mean I wanted to become a builder by the way lol. Being in the managerial position, you would still have to give orders & instructions (OH & S) to the labourers wouldn't you. Some of the Lebanese kids at my school who are working into the builder position are troublesome & rebellious during class, they also give the teachers a very hard time.

I am just worried that when instructing the labourers, whether they will show you any respect or not. I mean if you can't handle this group, then it'll be hard to work into lets say Top Level Construction Management for example due to poor leadership skills possibly into your resume. Though if the job doesn't require interaction with the labourers, then I'm all fine with that lol.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I did first year Bach. of Construction Management in 2004, and from talking to people in the industry, both the builders and those in managerial positions, labourers can have a tendency to give the Const Mgmt grads a bit of a hard time, sometimes like "Im not taking orders from some little kid" and disregard the knowledge and position that they may have. It is something that inevitably can not be avoided.

So you really have to have a thick skin I guess, and learn how to deal with different people. Dealing with people plays a big part of your role throughout all ranks and goes all the way to the highest ranks. Its "management", so its not just about materials and costs, its also about organising the workers, and so much more.

One of my friends (middle aged) is working in high ranks for Bovis Lend Lease, and he really has the personality for construction. He was a carpenter to start off, but the extent of his rise through the ranks is rarely seen these days, although still possible I guess.

I didnt mean that to sound daunting, but you have to learn how to deal with all types of people, whether they be awesome reliable workers, or stupid shits. But you dont have to worry about that for now, and as you progress through, you should get grads that have been through, and get more of an insight into how they have dealt with difficult situations.

Everybody is manageable.

eastsidehighris

HSC
i want to get into construction management at newcastle uni for 2007, and i need a uai of around 76.

what sort of results are the bare minimum in school to get there? thnx a bunch btw

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
eastsidehighris said:
i want to get into construction management at newcastle uni for 2007, and i need a uai of around 76.

what sort of results are the bare minimum in school to get there? thnx a bunch btw
Hahaha unfortunately im no pscychic, so il need more info if you want a ballpark answer to that.
Firstly, what subjects do you do?
You'll only get a rough idea of how you need to do, because there are way too many things to take into consideration, especially when your HSC isnt for another 8 months.
Also, dont be setting this 'bare minimum' stuff. You've only got another 8-9 months, and they will fly past, believe me. So do the work now and put the effort in, and you'll be paid back with a place in this course you want.

I guess you could get there by getting around 85% marks in your assessments. So its not going to hurt to aim for nothing less than that atm, if you're serious about this.

7th Sign

HSC
I got a few uncles in construction management and they all say the worst thing is when these uni grads come up and think their know it alls but really they have jack all experience in the field and most usually fail...

And as for been worries about lebs lol they are working every where in construction north shore theirs a shit load of them and also in the cbd...

and yes it is true the older guys will give you a shit of a time...

7th Sign

HSC
dilroy said:
I see, I didn't mean I wanted to become a builder by the way lol. Being in the managerial position, you would still have to give orders & instructions (OH & S) to the labourers wouldn't you. Some of the Lebanese kids at my school who are working into the builder position are troublesome & rebellious during class, they also give the teachers a very hard time.

I am just worried that when instructing the labourers, whether they will show you any respect or not. I mean if you can't handle this group, then it'll be hard to work into lets say Top Level Construction Management for example due to poor leadership skills possibly into your resume. Though if the job doesn't require interaction with the labourers, then I'm all fine with that lol.

mate I have done a bit of work in construction, My uncle is some big guy in the sydney high level construction management of real expensive homes...basically you have to know a shit load of pratical style things to be good at the job and you also need to have good leader ship skills, but usually as for "workers playing up" this usually didnt happen as their gettign paid and they know if they mess around they will get fired its the big mans world...also you will fail if you dont have alot of practical knoledge....

aaaman

Banned
HSC
7th Sign said:
mate I have done a bit of work in construction, My uncle is some big guy in the sydney high level construction management of real expensive homes...basically you have to know a shit load of pratical style things to be good at the job and you also need to have good leader ship skills, but usually as for "workers playing up" this usually didnt happen as their gettign paid and they know if they mess around they will get fired its the big mans world...also you will fail if you dont have alot of practical knoledge....
which in this case will mean u will end up turning like 7th sign a big fat failure hahahahahahaahahaha

7th Sign

HSC
aaaman said:
which in this case will mean u will end up turning like 7th sign a big fat failure hahahahahahaahahaha

aaaman look in the mirror last time I checked you were the "fat failure"

MCOLT

HSC
dilroy you sound like a bitch you will never make it in the construction game with that attitude even the apprentices will give it to ya you shouldnt act like your weak as piss

anyways anyone doin construction at unsw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)