• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

cont. and change (1 Viewer)

littlebear1107

HSC
If somebody somebody could please help me with "examining the role of power and authority in social and cultural continuity and change" I would be really grateful!!

tanvi

Don't know if this will help, but I would talk about:

1) Power is influential in either maintaining continuity or instigating change - particularly if they have the authority derived from an election skill.

e.g. Gough Whitlam - came after years of Liberal continuity - brought in changes of women's rights and Aboriginal/indigenous rights etc with his new laws and reforms.

e.g. John Howard and George Bush - maintain conservative government, traditions, most particularly that of not allowing homosexual marriage.

2) Power WITHOUT authority can also result in continuity and change:

e.g. Allende/Pinochet in Chile - this is all in the textbook, but it's basically how Allende tried to introduce change; but was overthrown by Pinochet in a coup...leading to continuity being maintained. You should find it in the textbook, but if you don't have it...yeah. I can tell you some more...!

Hope that helps, good luck :)

reddies_

HSC
just wondering if you're still on here, would you mind putting up some notes about pinochet and how he used power to maintain continuity, as i have lost my text book...thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)