Container Lifting Crane Beam Design (1 Viewer)

zcb666

HSC
My current Assessment task requires me to construct a beam suitable for use in a container lifting crane. I have to make it as strong as possible (in the ratio of mass held : mass of the beam).

ONLY 50(or less) paddle pop sticks can be used and only PVA glue is to be used to bond them together. The bridge is to be ATLEAST 500mm long.
When tested, the beam will be put across a gap of 450mm and masses will be suspended from the centre of the beam until it breaks and my maximum mass held is found.

They are the only requirements/constraints.

This is the first assessment task for my distance education engineering class and i am not sure of the best design for the beam. If you have any ideas or any notes on this can you please tell me. Anything will be appreciated :) My email address (which i also use for MSN messenger) is 'jbbccro15@hotmail.com' if you want to contact me that way.

Thankyou in advance for any help you may have. :)

wingman

Let's Rock N' Roll
HSC
whats a container lifting crane?

from what you explained, the context of 'container lifting crane' does affect you from building a simple truss.

50 paddle pop sticks is so less...how long is one stick? any limitations to the amount of glue?

you need more info on how testing is going to happen. how do u attach design to the ends over the gap? how will the weights be loaded? right on top of it, or a sling is stretched over and the weights are below the bridge.

Chosta

Horseypie

HSC
Hey man I pretty much know this assessment, we did it the end of last year with 5x5mm balsa wood...I'll add you on MSN and show you the trusses that worked...and some things to consider that me and my group didnt which led to the worst model they've had on record lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)