• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Continue music...? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I finished 7th grade piano last year.

I haven't started any 8th grade pieces and I haven't really been going anywhere... With the start of yr12, I don't know whether to temporarily stop piano and concentrate on my studies...or continue with the stagnant progress. I am definitely not pursuing it in the future - it is merely for enjoyment.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Zeroes

HSC
I had a similar situation with violin, I'm finishing off 8th grade at the moment and honestly I can't wait until it's over. It wasn't that I hated violin, I just never really had the time to practice and because I learned through school I was missing class time to go to violin lessons. If you think you're not getting anything out of it then maybe give it a miss in year 12. How much are you actually enjoying it?

interesting

HSC
N/A
If it's just for enjoyment then you could do it simultaneously with your studies but idk if you should start 8th grade now... ireckon concentrate on studies? if you think it's just too much stuff to handle then delay it till after exams :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I wish I could play an instrument. You humans are lucky so you should stick with it.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I'm doing 3 units of Music and I constantly practice guitar, piano, vocals etc, but if you're not doing it for your HSC I would cut back the time you practice.

Don't rule it out completely though, it's still important to have hobbies and have something to escape to away from study. Just take it a bit easier for this year and maybe not worry so much about 8th Grade until the HSC is over.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Don't worry about getting graded until after the HSC? Just play for fun and learn what you want to learn when you want to, but make sure that you still play often to relax and remember.

If you did do Music however it would have been easier though.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Just keep playing for the fun of it. It's good for winding down and a better form of procrastination than Bos/Fb imo.

Wish i'd kept with guitar.... (year 9 and 10 music really put me off)

yours

HSC
Tell your teacher you want to do 8th grade after you've finished the HSC. That's what I did. My practise has been really sporadic and I'm always using exams as an excuse. I'll have time after the HSC though. This is even though I did music for the HSC, but the HSC music performances have come and gone already. I think 70% of the assessment is over already... just the aural exam to go now.

HSC
Hmm good idea yours.

I shall talk to my teacher about this mess =D. lols

thanks all!

yours

HSC
Hmm good idea yours.

I shall talk to my teacher about this mess =D. lols

thanks all!
Does your teacher also pressure you to do a grade a year? (or 6 months like mine did for 7th grade >=[ )

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
lol all this pressure, I'm cruising through with Grade 3 stuff. Taking it really slow.

Anyways, my piano teacher maintains that if you get to that kind of level and just stop playing, you will lose skill. So my advice to you then is to keep playing, but wind down the amount you play. It's just Year 12. Seriously.

I finished four seasons of FIFA manager mode in Year 12 and I still got a spectacular ATAR.

goobi

HSC
I don't think this thread is about the HSC subject Music 1 or 2. Therefore, there's really no point moving it to here...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)