contradiction found on the UAC book and the internet!! (1 Viewer)

Kalashnikov47

HSC
on page 37 of the 2008 UAC book there is a line under the heading 7.2 "Paying your student contribution" that says "New Zealand citizens and holders of an Australian permanent resident visa (other than an Australian permanent humanitarian visa) do NOT have access to HECS-HELP loans and must pay all of the student contribution up front (with no discount)". In other words, these mean that if I am a holder of Australian Permanent Resident visa or I am New Zealand citizen, I am not eligible for CSP/HECS or HECS-HELP.

However, in the booklet (page 15) I got from goingtouni.gov.au, that says "to meet the Citizenship or residency requirement for CSP, you must be either an Australian citizen or a New Zealand citizen or a holder of permanent visa and you must resident in Australia for the duration of your units". In other words, if I am a holder of PR or a New Zealand citizen, I am actually eligible for CSP!

How did this happen? Can anyone tell me more about the CSP thing?

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Oh. I was expecting this to be something minor, but... that's massive. I really suggest you call someone urgently... Like the CSP/HECS doods.

spence

HSC
Kalashnikov47 said:
on page 37 of the 2008 UAC book there is a line under the heading 7.2 "Paying your student contribution" that says "New Zealand citizens and holders of an Australian permanent resident visa (other than an Australian permanent humanitarian visa) do NOT have access to HECS-HELP loans and must pay all of the student contribution up front (with no discount)". In other words, these mean that if I am a holder of Australian Permanent Resident visa or I am New Zealand citizen, I am not eligible for CSP/HECS or HECS-HELP.

However, in the booklet I got from goingtouni.gov.au, that says "to meet the Citizenship or residency requirement for CSP, you must be either an Australian citizen or a New Zealand citizen or a holder of permanent visa and you must resident in Australia for the duration of your units". In other words, if I am a holder of PR or a New Zealand citizen, I am actually eligible for CSP!

How did this happen? Can anyone tell me more about the CSP thing?
That's actually not a contradiction, as Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP are 2 different things. A CSP place means the govt pays for most of the degree, while HECS-HELP refers to deferring payment. So if you're an NZ citizen, you can get commonwealth support, but you still need to pay upfront

Sound&Fury

Éminence grise
HSC
If you're a NZ citizen, you're elligible for CSP but not CSP/HECS-HELP. They're two different things - CSP still means you have to pay upfront, just that the government pays partly for your place. CSP/HECS-HELP is where you get a loan from the government and you don't have to pay up front.

Beaten, oh well.

Last edited:

Kalashnikov47

HSC
spence said:
That's actually not a contradiction, as Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP are 2 different things. A CSP place means the govt pays for most of the degree, while HECS-HELP refers to deferring payment. So if you're an NZ citizen, you can get commonwealth support, but you still need to pay upfront
Thanks but this still doesnt make sense... because in the UAC book, it says that PR holders and NZ citizens are not entitled to HECS-HELP and have to pay the uni fee without discount, which means you are not eligible for CSP as well, whereas on the booklet from goingtouni says you are.

spence

HSC
When they say 'without discount' I think it's referring to the 20% discount that Australian citizens receive if they pay upfront

HSC
Australian Citizen:
CSP + HECS-HELP + 20% discount if paid upfront

NZ Residents/PR:
CSP

Kalashnikov47

HSC
kevinx2 said:
Australian Citizen:
CSP + HECS-HELP + 20% discount if paid upfront

NZ Residents/PR:
CSP
I just figured this out too~~~ but thanx anyway~~~

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
spence said:
When they say 'without discount' I think it's referring to the 20% discount that Australian citizens receive if they pay upfront
This is precisely what it refers to. Note it says "must pay all of the student contribution up front (with no discount)". NZers and permanent residents still get the commonwealth contribution.

Both publications are accurate. There is no contradiction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)