Conventional Vs Real (1 Viewer)

Budz

HSC
Ive never really understood the concepts of conventional current and the real flow of current.

like why are we taught in physics to show the direction of current as the flos of a positive charge, especially during induction, when it is the flow of electrons and why in chem do we show direction of current as the flow of electrons..

One more thing to help settle a dispute between one of my friends.
What do you guys believe has more supporting evidence, The Big Bang or the creation story??

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Electrons are negative, convention is to take positive (theres probably more to it then that though)

As for big bang vs creation, you are trying to compare a scientific theory with an accepted myth. Which do you think would have more evidence?

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
In an electric ciruit with a current. It's electrons that actually move (therefore the real flow) and they move negative to positive.

But when it was first discovered they thought electricity flows Postive to negative and hence conventional current.

So remember:
Conventional Flow: is positive to negative
Real Current Flow: is negative to positive

The right hand palm rule works only with conventional current and Lenz's law.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
oh and Big Bang theory vs Creation.

Creation is like an aboriginal dream time story to explain things. Why there's emus and why we shouldn't hunt. Humans 100s of yrs ago i reckon needed to explain where we came from. Therefore they made up the Creation story about Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden.

Big Bang theory is the theory with most evidence.

But it's not really apple vs apple.

You should place Evolution (we evolved from apes) vs Human Creation ("God" created Adam and Eve).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)