• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Conversation HELP! (1 Viewer)

Fire Sprite

ok, just going over different textual forms and in my trials we had to write a conversation between two people which the majority of the grade wrote as a transcript i.e.
Name: said this
Name: responded like this
We were told that was wrong, so how do you write a conversation, and differentiate between characters?? I read an exemplar conversation script which was written the same was as above. Very confused... any help would be much appreciated.

-Kris

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I'm sure if you do that, you'll be fine. I would have done the same as you did. What was the right answer then if it was wrong? Wouldn't she have told you?

Fire Sprite

well we were all up in arms hehe trying to ask what the right way was and i dont think they even knew....we never got a straight answer which is why i am still inclined to stick to how i did it. All i got our of the teachers was something about using quotation marks rather than specifying the name but if you were to do that it would end up
"blah blah blah"
"answer"
it would be harder to articulate who was speaking. so yeah, thanks for you resassurance!! :)

J

jhakka

It wouldn't be that hard. Just add a bit of narration.

"Blah blah," he said, scratching his ear for no good reason apart from giving the narrator something to talk about.

Fire Sprite

wouldnt that just make it a narrative? i assumed a conversation was concerned only with what the characters were saying rather than doing - an articulation or views and values etc.

superbird

HSC
A band 6 response last year for King Lear (see standards package) had the conversation set out as:
B1: said this
B2: responded like this

i.e.
B1: How are you?
B2: Very well thanks.

Therefore setting it out like you first said is perfectly fine.

frazzle

HSC
it would make sense if you only wrote what they said rather than actions as well, i mean, you can't write:

"blah blah blah" he said
"blah blah blah" she said
"blah blah blah" he said
"blah blah blah" she said

and to waste all that brain power thinking up synonyms for "said"... not to mention the strain on your poor hand...

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Fire Sprite said:
ok, just going over different textual forms and in my trials we had to write a conversation between two people which the majority of the grade wrote as a transcript i.e.
Name: said this
Name: responded like this
We were told that was wrong, so how do you write a conversation, and differentiate between characters?? I read an exemplar conversation script which was written the same was as above. Very confused... any help would be much appreciated.

-Kris
dont worry about it. youve probably been told wrong. the exemplar is part of the standards package which is what the use to help mark papers with in the HSC. How else could you write one anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)