Cool problem of the day! (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm assuming that means sit snugly inside the parabola? OMG I JUST SOLVED IT!! SO HAPPY WTF OMG HAHHAHAHAHA. I feel...so smart...yet among some of these questions...

The general equation of a circle is . Here . Solving simultaneously the parabola and circle, . As the solution is a double root, the discriminant equals 0. . . The circle has centre .

By a similar process, the centre of the circle in the parabola is (Different k to top one)

Last edited:

qwerty44

HSC
This thread is practically dead, so thought I might post a question. But unlike many of the others posted so far, a 2U student can do it.

ismeta

HSC
1? :) I didn't use any particular mathematical method to do it, though.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
This thread is practically dead, so thought I might post a question. But unlike many of the others posted so far, a 2U student can do it.

I think the conclusion is that a can indeed equal to b, but you gave us restricted boundaries, so yeah heh.

qwerty44

HSC

The curves are arcs of circles whose centers are vertices of the square, side 6cm. Find the area of the shaded region.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Here's a question I posted a while ago but I don't remember if anybody answered it (don't think so). Best done by the interested and well-read HSC student.

I am standing at the origin. I move to the right by one unit, then up by 1/2, then left by 1/3, then down by 1/4, then right again by 1/5 etc etc.

If I continue this infinitely, is there a coordinate I will (eventually) reach? If so, what is it?

---------------------------------------

Another:

I am a 1-Dimensional person (so 1 degree of freedom). This means I can only either move forwards or backwards.

I move forward 1 unit, then backward 1/2 units, then forward 1/3 units, then backwards 1/4 units etc etc.

If I continue this infinitely, is there a coordinate I will (eventually) reach? If so, what is it?

---------------------------------------

Another:

Consider a regular n-gon. What is the total number of m-gons (not necessarily regular) that I can make such that m < n ? (careful about rotational symmetry).

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yep! Methinks that is a really cool result. No doubt if you could the first, then the second is trivial. Try going up 1 more dimension to 3D.

IamBread

HSC
Yeah, and it was a lot of fun to do too. I am doing the first one now, so far got the z direction coordinate to be

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
Consider a regular n-gon. What is the total number of m-gons (not necessarily regular) that I can make such that m < n ? (careful about rotational symmetry).
I like this question. The hardest part is finding a closed expression for the sum that determines the number of m-gons. I think a good Extension 2 student should be able to do so if they play around a bit with Complex Numbers. I will post a solution later if nobody else does.

Fus Ro Dah

HSC

The curves are arcs of circles whose centers are vertices of the square, side 6cm. Find the area of the shaded region.
I know this question can be done by elementary means by partitioning various areas, but is it possible to evaluate it using calculus?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Pretty sure it can be done using the transformation formula you have there (by perhaps mapping it out to a triangular domain) but then you would need to find the points of intersections etc, which would be quite tedious.

qwerty44

HSC
Found a pretty good one that most 2U students should try.

Find the area of the rectangle.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)