coop shop (1 Viewer)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
hahaa

the books aren't up for two reasons:

1) it's early holidays. expect them to be there towards the end of holidays

2) lecturers are busy finalising first semester grades and supp exam issues to even think of second sem textbooks.

Last edited:

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
there are more uni's there than last time i checked.

give it some more time. :)

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
u sound a lil 2 eager 2 get back 2 the study 4 my liking dude!!!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha yeah, i wish i had that kind of enthusiasm back in first year, i might've gotten better marks

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
they're just bored.

if they end up buying (or borrowing) the textbooks, they'll just gather dust for about 3 months or thereabouts. which is why, all my textbooks are in very good condition when i sell them :D

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Macquarie = disorganised. That's all I can say.
I dont think MQ is disorganised, but I do think it takes so long because its one of the bigger uni's. If you look, USYD and NSW dont have their lists either, and dont until the same time as MQ.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
If you look, USYD and NSW dont have their lists either, and dont until the same time as MQ.
UNSW has their own bookshop.

i find the 10% student discounts absolutely crap though, so i either get second-hand thru textbookexchange, or 20% off RRP new law books at lawbooks.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Considering the amount of flexibility within the courses and units within mq, its quite well done, particularly the timetable. Although you'll run into clashes here and there, with the new ilectures and the usually flexible convenors i quite like the freedom.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Frigid said:
UNSW has their own bookshop.

i find the 10% student discounts absolutely crap though, so i either get second-hand thru textbookexchange, or 20% off RRP new law books at lawbooks.
I agree that the 10% is hardly worth it, but its better than nothing! I love textbook exchange too... ta for the info re: lawbooks, they're such a ripoff and so expensive!

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
I agree that the 10% is hardly worth it, but its better than nothing! I love textbook exchange too... ta for the info re: lawbooks, they're such a ripoff and so expensive!
are you kidding?? i save about $50 each semester.
go the 10% discount ! :)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
are you kidding?? i save about $50 each semester.
go the 10% discount ! :)
The 10% comes in handy when you have really expensive books to buy (eg. Psy234 and contract law).

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i don't like buying textbooks. they cost money. plus, you can read them all you like in the library.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Does trying to skimp on textbooks (ie not buying them and reading them in the library instead) work okay? I've always found it so convenient, I suppose, to have them, that it's never relaly been questioned whether I need them... but then, 80% of the course doesn't need it, it's just those odd times... Have you tried it Flyin'? Anyone else?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Well thats how i got through AHST101 last year, and got a Credit :)

Not my fault though, the suppliers didnt bring in books for the unit until week 12 (there were about 6 of us who couldnt get a hold of one)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Skittled said:
Does trying to skimp on textbooks (ie not buying them and reading them in the library instead) work okay? I've always found it so convenient, I suppose, to have them, that it's never relaly been questioned whether I need them... but then, 80% of the course doesn't need it, it's just those odd times... Have you tried it Flyin'? Anyone else?
I didn't skimp on textbooks in first year, and almost managed to sell them all in second year. But I rarely used my textbooks, except maybe for ACCG100/101, COMP115 and ECON110 for a maximum of two weeks (either because I wanted to attempt tutorials or was really lost).

The only reason you'd have them is for convenience. Many people don't attend lectures (or listen to them on i-lectures), let alone read. In most courses, due to (student) time constraints, the lecture notes and tutorials and past papers are all we have time for. (The other reason is you have genine interest in what the textbook has to offer. I might buy a textbook next semester because of this reason, and there are no resale plans.)

By textbooks, I mean ones from Co-op and not the Course notes shop opposite them.

Last semester, I didn't buy a single textbook. (Bias comment: no prescribed texts.)

For my MATH units, I've only ever borrowed textbooks. Last semester two people took the only two copies of the textbook for Geometry for the whole semester. Lectures are sufficient.

For ECON units, there are usually a couple of good textbooks and unless written by the lecturer, the prescribed textbooks are limited, so it's better just skimming the recommended readings and take notes in Reserve.

Sometimes, textbooks are used for two units, which makes it alright. I bought a STAT textbook for STAT272/1, and again used it for a grand total of two weeks all year.

It really depends on the type of unit.

My arguments only apply to Commerce and Science units. I understand there might be a greater need to have textbooks for Art because of less contact hours.

I guess, unless the textbook is known to be great, buy good condition, cheap, latest edition, second hand version and plan to sell.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)