coordinate covalent bonding (1 Viewer)

chunder

HSC
can someone explain this concept to me please. The whole principle seems totally random and i don't really know how to use it. If you could give examples it would be great.

spice girl

magic mirror
Normally in covalent bonds, atom A gives one electron, and atom B gives one electron, to form a bonding electron pair (a covalent bond). We say both atoms share one electron to form the covalent bond.

In a co-ordinate covalent bond, atom A gives two electrons, while atom B bludges. It's really a lewis acid-base interaction (i hear you don't even learn this! o well), in short one atom donates an electron pair, and the other atom receives an electron pair. In the end the bond formed is still covalent in character, but we know that it isn't from both atoms sharing. It's from one atom sharing and another atom free-riding.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by spice girl

In a co-ordinate covalent bond, atom A gives two electrons, while atom B bludges
LOL that's a good way to explain it :p

I'll just repeat the most important bit - once formed, a dative covalent (=coordinate covalent) bond is indistinguishable from an ordinary covalent bond.

Akira_Tikira

The only time u use it is in ozone and in hydronium ion. they actually have never proved one to have coordinate covalent bond but guess that is the only way it cna happen....

Your Lewis dot diagram is the best way to show it , but remember at the end each atom must obey the octete rule.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Re: Re: coordinate covalent bonding

Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
it seems random to me as well... damn those smart little freaky atoms, all they want is bondage...
While there seems to be an extreme 'randomness' in all this, remember that it's all just an elaborate model we have constructed to make sense of chemical interactions. Dative bonds can't be 'seen'.

Twintip

The most common example of a coordinate covalent bond in our course is probably the hydronium ion in the Acidic Environment module. Hydronium ions form when you get a hydrogen ion (just a proton) bonding with one of the 2 lone pairs of electrons on a water molecule to form H3O+ (aq).

Last edited:

pranks85

See, I always figured that the energy used to make ozone went into breaking one of the bonds in the oxygen gas double bond. What I can't figure out is where that energy goes into, if that bond doesn't break - is it in breaking another O2 bond to release atomic oxygen? And if so, why is sunlight still required to produce ozone in the lower atmosphere, where other chemicals are breaking bonds to produce atomic oxygen? Does the formation of a co-ordinate covalent bond still release energy?

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Originally posted by pranks85
See, I always figured that the energy used to make ozone went into breaking one of the bonds in the oxygen gas double bond. What I can't figure out is where that energy goes into, if that bond doesn't break - is it in breaking another O2 bond to release atomic oxygen? And if so, why is sunlight still required to produce ozone in the lower atmosphere, where other chemicals are breaking bonds to produce atomic oxygen? Does the formation of a co-ordinate covalent bond still release energy?
when the diatomic oxygen molecule is split by sunlight, uv energy is absorbed to split the double bond, producing two monatomic oxygen free radicals. each of these has a higher energy state than just 'normal' monatomic oxygen; because they have two unpaired electrons. When these radicals combine with other diatomic oxygen molecules, the formation of the coordinate covalent bond will relase energy, but as heat.

does that answer ur question? i'm not really sure what you mean... and i can't answer the bit about sunlight beinf required to produce ozone in the lower atmosphere... have you checked the CC textbook?

pranks85

Yeah, I've checked out all the textbooks, but it's a little outside the syllabus, so none of them deal with it. After all, it's the HSC - we don't question the information, we just memorise it, right?

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Originally posted by pranks85
Yeah, I've checked out all the textbooks, but it's a little outside the syllabus, so none of them deal with it. After all, it's the HSC - we don't question the information, we just memorise it, right?
Absolutely:D

pranks85

Nevertheless, I'm quite curious about the answer to that one. Unfortunately, my teacher doesn't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)