Copper cookware (1 Viewer)

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
copper is too damn expensive nowadays.
decent copper cookware, made in france would cost at least $200 for the smallest pot.

not worth it.

maybe get a copper based pan, which is pretty much what it's good for (thermal conduction) - the cost for the sides

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well, if you COULD get them cheaper, would it be worth it for the added cooking benefit vs cleaning difficulties?

(I know people/places/things)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well I assume I wouldn't be frying a steak or anything but you know.. general stuff.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
like french haute cuisine? =D

get it if you can afford it.

they'll last a lifetime or more if you take care of them apparently.

also take note prior to purchase if its copper lined stainless steel or solid copper

chefman21

HSC
N/A
Copper cookware is incredible. I've used it at a couple of restaurants over my career and it is unreal. Amazing heat dispertion, a really great weight:size:strength ratio and it looks great. Buy it if you can afford it, you only really need 3-4 different size pans for home use.

But,
It's pricey. A small pot around the 700ml size suitable for boiling one egg is $150, a two litre from any reputable maker is $300-400. Only ever buy from a European manufacturer if you are getting them. They make the very best, and when you are spending that kind of money you go for the best. No point trying to save $50 a pot by purchasing from an unknown manufacturer. Pots like these you want the best and you WILL notice a difference. Next, you can't do high heat cooking with them. Steaks are out of the question. Also, you need to polish them all the time. They corrode very easily, especially in a kitchen environment. You also need to get them treated every few years usually as the insides are tin(?). They can scratch easily too...

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well, I found a set on eBay - 9pc that I paid $350 for. Not a European manufacturer (Benjamin & Medwin Inc. New York) but at that price - bargain? I believe they're tin lined as opposed to ss lined.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)