core 1 assessment help needed!! (1 Viewer)

weevy14

HSC
hey i need help for an assessment..... if anyone could help me that would be great!

i need to know..

*why cancer has been selected as a National Health Priority Area.

and...

*How epidemiology is used to determine the health of the socioeconimically-disadventaged population

THANX!!!!!

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
weevy14 said:
hey i need help for an assessment..... if anyone could help me that would be great!

i need to know..

*why cancer has been selected as a National Health Priority Area.

THANX!!!!!
Got this from my notes last yr -

Reasons to justify cancer being selected as one of the NHPA (from notes + website) =

In 1996, Australian Health Ministers announced cancer as a National Health Priority Area in recognition of the major burden it places on our community.

Statistics from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (Australia's Health 2002) show that in Australia:

*cancer currently accounts for 30.2% of male deaths and 25.2% of female deaths each year
*each year about 345,000 people are diagnosed with cancer. Approximately 270,000 of these are non-melanocytic skin cancers (the less threatening form of skin cancer)
*the most commonly detected cancers are prostate cancer in males and breast cancer in females (I have 1/3 men + 1/4 women in my notes)
*in 2000 there were 35,628 deaths in Australia from cancer and the most common cancers causing death were lung cancer in males and breast cancer in females
*at the prevailing cancer incidence rates, it may be expected that one in three men and one in four women could be directly affected by cancer by the age of 75.

Eight 'priority' cancers have been targeted under this initiative:
lung cancer
melanoma skin cancer
non-melanocytic skin cancer
cancer of the cervix
breast cancer
colorectal cancer
prostate cancer
non-Hodgkins lymphoma.

Unless it's changed within a yr, target grp = adults.

Last edited:

weevy14

HSC
cool, thanx so much guys! its really come in handy cause i was struggling a bit!!.....

Cab31

HSC
thats all good information wise but the reason that cancer was made a priority area is due to the factors which determine priority areas i.e:
priority population groups
potential for change
cost o community
cost to individuals
prevalence of the condition
principles of social justice

they got the same question (why cancer is a priority area) in the 2003 hsc so see if your library has the student answers book from there to see what the top students wrote, otherwise private message me and i can help you out.

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
yeah mate karen (without wings) provided that info, but she didnt do it all for the peron doing the assessment, let them actually do some work and not karen do them for them.

i think karen deserves more praise because basicly shes answered so many questions, and helped so many people with assessments. if there is an award, well i vote her for moderator of the year!!!!!

go without wings!!!! your a legend :D

ViolentJ

Uncle Banger
HSC
I agree Karen does need more praise. I know she's helped me a bit and like Mr Speedy I'd vote her moderator of the year!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)