• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Cornelia Rau (3 Viewers)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
no no, i said there should be an appology and a review of how come the different services weren't working together.
I honestly feel there was nothing they could of done, and this could of happened to any country in the world.

Any way, nice little spin... first you said they haven't been sensationalist and how i'm just a right-wing dickhead, now you're saying "SO WHAT! THE LIBS ARE SENSATIONALIST TOO!!".

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Sop somebody didn't speak english, was confused and psychotic we put them in a prison for 3 months in queensland when they couldn't work out what to do they sent her to spend nine months at Baxter.

The point is not that she was an Australian but that the system that the federal government has impossed is deeply flawed and as a result a mentally ill women has spent time in a place that has aggravated her condition immensly.

This is not a beurucratic bungle this is a tragic instance of gross mis-management personal negligence on the parts of a great many people.

This has only come to light through the actions of refugee support groups, the immigration department has not discovered this bungle and come clean and apologised, even now as this tragedy has been revealed an apology is being refused and a closed door toothless investigation conducted.

Shame, Shame, Shame, Shame.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Bec, first of all... you can't hate everyone of a right wing ideology because of that, if i hated everyone that's left wing because of one left wing dickhead would that be fair?
Most dear, most. See I don't hate you, so therefore I can't hate them all can I.
He just demonstrates why I used to hate them all. Mind you there are some fairly idiotic lefties around here too....

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
At least we know mandatory detention doesn't target people based on their ethnicity.

K

katie_tully

How do you figure?
She was thought to be an illegal immigrant of German heritage... It'd be interesting to see the results if she had have spoken English.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
What WOULD another government have done to prevent this? I'd like to hear how Labor claims it is possible to prevent a skitzophrenic of german decent, who can speak fluent german, and basically honestly believes the made up story she says, from finding her way into a detention centre.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Well for a start you don't operate a draconian system of madatory detention and presumption of guilt....

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
So what would of you done with miss rau? In fact, what would you do with the refugee's who come here by the boatload? let them out into the community and hope if they're not ment to be here we can get them back?

Edit: Cyan, how EXACTLY could have it been avoided?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Yes I would accept refugees "by the boatload", in fact I would increase our normal intrake of refugees.

For thsoe accepted by the boatload I would place into communities and provide with housing whilst applications were processed. During this time they would be paid a small government allowance and allowed to work in the area. NB: I would typically place these groups in rural/regional australia as there is a shortage of labour there.

Those among teh group who held professional qualifications of any sort would be automatically accepted. Those that didn't would be accepted in the majority of cases however were they to choose/undertake to stay in rural/regional they would be rewarded with either a lump sum payment or an ongoing payment to encourage this.

IamaFloorMat

HSC
N/A
question:
if more boatpeople come in, isnt this worse/harder for that try to come in legally (with something to offer , e.g they may be a doctor or something)??

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Illegally you stand a better chance of reaching as in setting foot upon australia (opr at least meeting anm australian even if they are RN personnel.

Legally you stand a much better chance of staying here.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Cyan, ur statement about how they could of prevented it is based on "Use all their resources to find her identity and they have enough to have found it, it just seems they were not motivated enough".
What resources? She had a plausable story, she spoke fluent german, wtf was she doing wandering around queensland? If you were presented with this... a woman claiming she is german, perhaps with some psychological problems, speaks fluent german, has a good story...
Would you not simply place her through the same situation as any other possible illegal immigrant?

I'm not after just 'use resources' i want to know what resources there are to work out who people are, i mean seriously if u found a person wandering around in the middle of the desert and u were asked to find their family... it's just very hard imo.

So you let them come here and live in communities (which currently happens), but you would do it without bars, fences?
What guarentee do we have that they won't get out into the community?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Who gives a rats who she was she was clearly in a mentally unstable bordering on pyschotic state - on this grounds alone she should have been placed in pyshiatric care not a detention centre.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
From the reporting she saw a pyshiatrist/pyschologist at Baxter however was kept in solitary confinement and was unmedicated resulting in a drastic deteriation in her condition.

Of course having an open enquiry with full judicial powers would clear these sort of questions up nicely.....

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Ok so you think if they had looked in the missing person's data this would have been solved quickly?
I tend to agree with you that this should of been done, for all i know it was done (how did they find out she wasn't an illegal immigrant?) and perhaps not done fast enough.
However even with someone's information as a missing person, it would of taken time to sort through and find her... along with that they are trying to find out the information for ALL the other refugee's so that they can determine if THEY are illegal or not.

It's not that she spoke the language, she spoke german, had made up a good story about how she was an illegal german immigrant.

I do believe they did try to identify her, however more than likely they started off by trying to identify her in germany (while she was known to be mentally ill, from what they knew it was probably likely that she came from germany), however obviously they came to a dead end here, then i'm assuming they did check the missing persons list and she was discovered to be an australian citizen.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Her true identity was only revealed through the actions of a refugee advocate group, who were informed of her plight by asylum seekers at Baxter.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well i'm still going to asume that they were trying to find out her identity (looking in germany) since they had contacted I believe the german embassy in australia or something like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)