cost of joining SAM? (1 Viewer)

jimjim

hey, could someone please tell me how much it costs to join sam? cause according to the 'information for new undergraduate students 2006' booklet thingo, it says that the student activities fees is $184.. but what about sam?!

X

xeuyrawp

jimmyjojo said:
hey, could someone please tell me how much it costs to join sam? cause according to the 'information for new undergraduate students 2006' booklet thingo, it says that the student activities fees is $184.. but what about sam?!
I think it's mid 100s; like $150. Coicidentally, the SAM site doesn't say...

jimjim

thanks rob - yeah, i went to the site and they didnt say anything about cost! im like mmm.. informative! anywhoo, thanks! :) (once again!)

X

xeuyrawp

jimmyjojo said:
thanks rob - yeah, i went to the site and they didnt say anything about cost! im like mmm.. informative! anywhoo, thanks! :) (once again!)
Don't you love it when sites are made with aesthetics in mind? Form over function and such...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
no, because i visit sites to stare at them
:p

the old site was a bitch to navigate as well, at least this one looks good

the homepage of www.mq.edu.au is a different story

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Does the new SAM website require us to register again? Cause I cant seem to remember my user//pass

X

xeuyrawp

iambored said:
no, because i visit sites to stare at them
:p

the old site was a bitch to navigate as well, at least this one looks good

the homepage of www.mq.edu.au is a different story
It must be the way our brains work.

I was seriously looking at the SAM site for about 5 minutes until I was sure that I hadn't missed any links.

How do you think one of our 80 year-old students would be using that? Or even some of the really computer illiterate people?

Sites really have to be aimed at the lowest audience, and that SAM site is confusing as hell.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I quite like it, and its not that confusing, the links are all there, with headings.

Sure we could revert to the boring handbook look, but that doesnt have much success with the bottom end users either, coming from the recent test MQ PR had with those school kids, it was harder to find info from there.

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
I quite like it, and its not that confusing, the links are all there, with headings.
They're not at all organised. Having to search for information is stupid and bad designing. Having shit like 'contacts' on the pencil at the top of the page is just a wank and a waste of space.

Sure we could revert to the boring handbook look, but that doesnt have much success with the bottom end users either,
I'm not saying the other site was at all succesful, I'm saying that this one was a waste of our fees.

In fact, this site has no more info than the last one, so I would assume you're judging 'success' by the look of it, when really it should be functionality.
coming from the recent test MQ PR had with those school kids, it was harder to find info from there.
What was PR doing with SAM busines? :S

Anyway, I agree that the last site was shit. Nothing was difficult to find (it was linear), but here was no useful info. Why the fuck haven't they got information about fees?

The site's stupid, and the pointless aesthetics are just trying to hide that.

Last edited by a moderator:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
The site's stupid, and the pointless aesthetics are just trying to hide that.
You gotta give them time, I think its a bit insensitive to be claiming it offers no information when we are still on holidays, and the traffic is fairly low at this stage. To put together websites isnt something you can well without much thought. Particularly with the changing atmosphere of VSU, it is quite difficult to see what the make up of things will be at this stage, and probably the reason for the non-information.

If you believe that you could do a better job, perhaps you should lobby for a position and change it, I just don't think its all that fair when there is still the better part of 2-3 weeks left and the launch of the site only being a couple of weeks prior.

Every Macquarie University student automatically becomes a SAM Member which means you can take advantage of all the facilities in the SAM Building including the SAMBar, Women’s Room, SAM Spot, SAM Shop and The Quarry.

However to receive the maximum discounts and savings on and off-campus, you must register to become a SAM Card Holder.

SAM Cards are available to all students at Macquarie University, all Macquarie University staff (charges apply), SIBT, NCELTR and MGSM students.

So register today to take advantage of the savings to be made both on and off campus.
eStudent, if i recall, also had a breakdown of the fees, so *shrugs*

philly17

its $150 for non students to join free for students thats wat it said when i looked at it. Whta time can u start picking ya classes tomorrow?

HSC
N/A
I think the MQ homepage "works" for only 50% of the reasons you want it to... after many unsuccessful attempts to find what I want I've long since given up trying to navigate. I've fallen back on the google/cry and call a fellow MQer who knows what the appropriate link is tactic instead ;)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
09-Jan-2006 Fee Union CS Semester Rate 24-Feb-2006 $88.00 $88.00
09-Jan-2006 Fee Stud Council CS Semester Rate 24-Feb-2006 $23.00 $23.00
09-Jan-2006 Fee Sports Ass CS Semester Rate 24-Feb-2006 $73.00 $73.00

What was PR doing with SAM busines? :S
It was an activity designed to test the effectiveness of the current MQ homepage, not SAM, and from what i saw and heard from our room, kids had little to no idea, unless they'd sat through and explored it the night before. So I don't think the effectiveness of either website is top-notch, but at least its a little more pleasing to the eye.

And the internet being a fairly visual culture, it is suprisingly easier for -low- end users to gain more stimuli than through traditional writing.

Last edited:

maniche

HSC
woah woah woah......

This is confusin shit- wats the difference between SAM n student activity fees?
Do we have to pay for them seperatley?
I know i might sound stupid-but i had no idea wat i was doing there-some dude goes jump on the computer n register for sam n they gagve us this wrist band, so i thought it was compulsory

can someone please clarify thanks alot

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
SAM is basically the Student Union (correct me if im wrong) Students At Mac.

You pay a one off fee of $184, and I'm just showing the breakdown.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
We do have to re-register to get the new card, you just do it on the website. They ask you for the email you used when you registered, so remember it!

I dont think the SAM card is that bad this year. They have changed from the Ambassador card scheme to something called "Enjoy Life", or something equally as wanky. They also have discounts at MQ centre which arent great, most are 10% off. But Greater Union give us Silver Screen tickets for $11.50 - so its an extra dollar than a normal ticket! I think I'll be using that little facility a few times.

Steve and I are going to get one SAM card between us next semester. I dont think SAM is that great.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha yeah, as long as Conception Day runs, I'll be happy :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)