• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Cost of Orthodontic Braces (1 Viewer)

adistar85us

HSC
I'm looking at getting braces this year because my teeth have slightly misaligned due to not wearing my retainers.

For those of you here that have had braces done, how much did you pay?

rozymisty

HSC
Depends on if you are in a health fund and if you had braces previously.

My orthodontist is thankfully very flexible with costs and allowed us to pay bit by bit. I think mine were about $3000 or so and i wore them for just under 2 yrs.

I then had a retainer. NOt sure how much they were as mum naturlaly paid for them.

I fyou have private health cover, they have a lifetime cover of between 2 and 3k.

I need braces again but not the full thing as my stupid wisdom teeth pushed them out of alignment. But he's only going to charge me for material costs which is very nice.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Mine were for $3k, and I think I wore mine for about a year. I now have a retainer.

rozymisty

HSC
I had the coloured ones, but my retainer was clear...used to stick that in my pocket which made it yuck, so most of the time at school i didnt wear them coz they made my speech even worse!!

The clear ones have only come out in the past 4-5yrs id say...

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
depends on how fucked your mouth is in general

say if your teeth are missaligned my an incredible margin and your jaw is also out of place, youre looking at around 5-6k and a fair number of years

but if only say your teeth are only slightly missalligned and no jaw work needs to be done then depending on where you go to its about 1-3k

and i think clear ones cost more yes

HSC
Every private business charges different. For your case I'd say 3-5 thousand dollars. I ended up paying $7,000 for braces for a specific surgery.

You could try insurance, after about a year they might cover it if you can prove it's a medical necessity (wouldn't count on it tho).

rozymisty

HSC
u dont have to prove that its medically necessary, coz a medicare dont pay a thing and b most of the time its not medical reason at all, its to help your mouth be in the proper alignment its meant to be.

How many of you who had braces sucked their thumb/s as a kid? I did and thats why i got braces.

You woul just need to serve out waiting periods and then you could claim for braces.

HSC
Mine were about 3500 dollars. I wore plates for a year, then braces for a year, and now I wear my retainers every night.

HSC
Uni Grad
Mine were 4500 and my sisters were 5k (~3 years after me). Wore for like 20ish months.

HSC
Mine cost $5000. I had them on for like 4 years which is AGES for braces but my teeth didnt look too bad (all my top teeth were aligned one d\odgy on the bottom) before but apparently my bite was a bit dodgy. I think you can reasonably expect to pay up to 6 or 7 thousand dollars for braces. I just had the coloured ones (also includes the plates before and retainer after of course) but my orthodontist has a policy of not removing teeth unless absolutely neccesary so I didn't have any teeth extracted:)

You might be able to get away with just paying $450 or something for a new retainer or just get your current one tightened if your teeth haven't moved alot since you stopped wearing your retainer.

adistar85us

HSC
Thanks for the replies.

What payment plans were available from your orthodontist (pay upfront, monthly installment)?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Thanks for the replies.

What payment plans were available from your orthodontist (pay upfront, monthly installment)?
I think any good orthodontist should have both payment plans available. I reckon most would, anyway. :)

luckylollies

HSC
I apparently need braces because of my overbite - which no-one said was an issue before?
My dentist says $9K with the top being clear (although thats only like $650 more)
I need them for 6 months.
As for payment plan.... pay like $3K upfront then monthly payments.
It sounds so much more expensive compared to others though?

yups

HSC
i was just about to ask this question then i saw this :)

i'm getting braces in 2 weeks and mine are costing $5000.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)