could someone plz read (1 Viewer)

mraverage

Hay,

I'm new to this forum and site but it seems extremely helpful. Im in yr 11 right now but moving into yr 12 very quickly. I've had to make subject choices recently(which i can still change) but i have a few major problems. Firstly, im doing 14 Units ( yes this seems crazy but i will drop down to 12 Units very soon). I am currently thinking of doing 4 maths, 4 english, 2 physics, 2 chemistry and 2 economics ( very crazy in deed).

My first problem is whether i should do 4 english, it seems hard and the competition seems stiff but i enjoy english and i get good results (so far), could any body who has done 4 eng or is doing it give me some websites or ideas of past works so i can see the standard of work?

My second problem is my choice between physics and chemistry, I most likely have to drop one of these. I am average at both, have an average 'enjoyment' of both so its fairly hard for me to drop. Could any former or yr 12 students help me here? are the physics and chem tests based on more explanation or more maths? personal comments?

well thats about all i need to know, if anyone can be bothered to give me some useful websites, information or just personal comments on my subject choices plz do so... fanx

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Drop Chem. Evil subject. Do 4 Enlgish. But you are basically doing every hardest subject anyhow ... doesnt seem to matter really ...

Ac

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Theres too much crap in the course to learn. And its boring and not practical. And it is the subject of the devil too ...

Ac (Ps. the devil is also named: Mr. Kitchner)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You might want to consider looking at the 2001 HSC exams for physics and chemistry (along with the syllabuses) to see what type of things they're looking for.

Personally, I always found physics to be much more interesting, especially in year 12. It also goes well with a few of the maths topics (even though there's very little mathematical content in the new physics syllabus).

What do you want to do at university? Chemistry is a prerequisite for a lot of science degrees.

D._

"My first problem is whether i should do 4 english, it seems hard and the competition seems stiff but i enjoy english and i get good results (so far), could any body who has done 4 eng or is doing it give me some websites or ideas of past works so i can see the standard of work?"

Well, being a good English student doesn't necessarily mean you will be successful at extension English 2. If youre creative and can produce something that is truly imaginative then chances are youll do well in this course. I didnt put much effort into it at all, but since Im a creative person by nature the course leant itself to my strong points.
If you email me at buffy_fan_art@hotmail.com Id be happy to send you some samples of previous people's works ranging from band 1 to 4.

mraverage

yep, i sent u a message d. hope u can send me some samples of past 4 units eng work, preferably the highest band so i can see the maximum standard

lazarus, i have a slight interest in medicine, hence my choice between physics and chem, my main problem is if i drop chem though i will only have 12 units which means i will have to stick wif 4 eng or 4 maths as i prefer to do 12 units...

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Just from personal experince (ext 2 english and ext history) i would not recomend doing 2 ext courses unless you were willing to put in a lot of time. I know ext history and ext maths are vastley different, but its that time and the standards that you are expected to perform to that i talking about. You have to remember that an extension course is just that, and extension, its meant to be harder and mor time consuming. All the people i know at my school who started out with both 4 unit maths and 4 unit english dropped one of them, most of them dropped enlgish.
All the best :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I started out with both 4u english and 4u maths and ended up dropping down to 3u maths, but looking back now, it wouldn't have ended up being that much more difficult. Certainly worthwhile in terms of your final UAI (if you can handle it).

Be wary of dropping chemistry if you want to do medicine. I'd suggest you speak to a few more people just to make sure that you won't need it later (although you could always do a bridging course to catch it up if necessary, I suppose).

shikaree_bex

i live in my mind with occasional visits to the jo
extension 2 is for you (oh god im delirious)

yes do ext 2, 4 unit
u are doing crazu hard subjects and making this hsc thing very stressful but ahh i strongly suggest 4U if u are creative, and if u work well under pressure, because many a late night with dawn on my shoulder the morning birds taunting me were spent on my stories....
so it's ultimately up to u, don't be in denial if u think u are creative and you know u can write a fuckin kick ass project then DO IT, ..it'll also even up your maths (why u choose 4U maths is beyond me) but yeah, good to have a balance

and hey keep the 14 until u are really cracking under pressure, it's not much work really, just organize yourself
something i didn't do, I'm not gonna be like all the people who gave me advice and said, "you'll breeze though the hsc" cos thats not what it's like

it's not the work that gets u down, it's your emotions....i might be alone on that thought but yeah, it's a matter of keeping emotinally stable... well good luck i hope i helped??? email me and ill tell u more, can send u stuff etc...:guitar:

mraverage

hay thanks everyone for their responses, its been a great help, especially to the people who are doin the hsc now and bother responding...

ill keep the 14 units until i start to crack=) ive just gotten back my results: 18th for eng advanced, 19th for eng extensin 1, 33rd for 2 maths, 48th for 3 unit maths, 16th for ecos, 34th for phsyics and 32nd for chem

so ye... im doing ok, considering i go to sydney boys high

alys

hi, well, you seem to have already made your decision, but i just thought i'd add in my little bit here. i did 4u maths and 4u english, and i stuck with both of them to the end (unless i make a last-minute decision to switch to the 2u maths paper tomorrow, which apparently could be done). i started year 12 with 14 units: 4u english, 4u maths, french extension and history extension (with modern), but i ended up dropping the extension part of history, mostly so that i had time for everything else. i don't agree with the guy who said that too many extensions is impossible - on the contrary, my most stressful subject was probably advanced english. 4u maths was a pain in the neck, but that was because my teacher was shit, and even then it's not entirely impossible. 4u english is the best, because you have one unit with no exam, which is really nice one you get to this point. just make sure that you work consistently - our teacher was great and kept us on track well, making sure we had a 1st draft by the end of term 1, a second by term 2, and it was invaluable, compared to some people i know who were still trying to finish 1st drafts a few weeks before it was due.

but yeah, as others have said, being good at english is no guarantee that you'll deal well with 4u, although a critical study might work better with that theory. good luck anyway.

mraverage

hay, fanx alys, i hear what u say, im doing 14 units too right now, so maybe i can ask u if u found it stressful at the beginning with that many units, i just dont wanna drop to 12 units cause den i woujld be forced to definetly do 4 eng and maths...

alys

um, well, it seems a long time ago now. i don't really remember finding it hugely stressful to be doing 14 units, but history extension started to seem daunting, on top of the workload that i already had - like an extra two units, rather than just one. one of the other big things too was that having history extension meant that i had to stay back at school until 6 pm on both tuesday (hist ext) and wednesday (eng ext) evenings, which made actually getting any work done kind of impossible, since i also had french tutoring until 5 every second monday and then the occasional piano lesson, and maths ext meant that i stayed in town on friday afternoons and so on. you can see the problems. so it was more just that sort of logistical problem, than any real stress.

4u english goes, it's probably a good idea to keep enough units to drop something. i came very, very close to drop it throughout term 1, because i didn't feel as though i was getting anywhere. although it was good to know that i could drop it, i'm so glad now that i didn't, for lots of reasons. it's one of those subjects, though, that you really need to keep on top of throughout the year. i was lucky to have my stress out about it in term 1, not term 3.

anyway, i hope this helps. my advice: keep everything until you decide what you suck at/what you hate/which teacher you're going to have to kill/which subject just takes way too much time. even though i kept all 13 of mine, it's great to know that if something really starts to go down hill, you've got the freedom to drop it.

good luck,
alys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)