Could the internet in general be a university institution itself? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I mean, think about all the top universities out there like USYD and UNSW...but if you think about it, many uni's rely on computers and the internet for resources and teaching. Sure, they have all the old books in the library - but they also have computers and the net as well..but what if the old books are mostly all actually uploaded on the internet..then what would be the point of going to a top university in the first place? What would be the point of trying to get a top UAI to try and get in there when all you need is the net and a comp?

ALSO, the fact that I heard some of the un-elite and non-prestigious uni's anyways have the actual resources from ALL the other uni's (Inluding the good ones or top ones) IN THEIR ACTUAL LIBRARIES on a computer or online..and SINCE THIS IS THE CASE...would there be any point of trying to get into a great top uni if you have all the resources (THE SAME ONES AS WELL)...ALREADYY?!
negged

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Your canine companion seems to be a qualified doctor with a bachelor degree, what is the secret behind this?
Well it is as simple as paying $450 to a fictitious tertiary institution and you get a certificate mailed to you.
Is there a less expensive solution to this?
There is the internet!
OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO

Iamscrewed

HSC
Your canine companion seems to be a qualified doctor with a bachelor degree, what is the secret behind this?
Well it is as simple as paying $450 to a fictitious tertiary institution and you get a certificate mailed to you.
There is the internet!
OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO
You seem to have the wrong idea about my point..and so does mosts of you.

MY POINT IS..what is the meaning of going to a great top university (no offence) if you can go to an averaged or "Ok" university to get your degree..the award etc etc IN REAL LIFE ALSO which has the SAME resources in their library (AS WELL AS LINKING books and stuff through the internet with ALL the other top institutions - inluding the international ones). Intertwined with the fact that many uni's rely on the internet for information to do their assignments.

Hence, if the ok university (Maybe like LaTrobe for e.g.) has all the links of all the resources in all the uni's INCLUDING the resources on the internet..you tell me what would be the point of going to Sydney Uni or something if you have the resources at LaTrobe?!? SURE Sydney has the olden books and stuff..but what if they uploaded them on the internet as well?

You also get the SAME NAME on your certificate and hence the SAME degree (E.g. Psychology in Latrobe and Psychology in USYD)

:argue:

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i answered your question previously within this thread and so have others. unis are research institutions and are secondly educational based.

the more prestigious unis tend to attract the more knowledgeable academics for the specific field and therefore when providing lectures, will give off different information and resources to something taught elsewhere. this is why after transferring to the same degree at another institution requires you to have your completed courses checked for accreditation.

iamscrewed said:
Depends what subject you do and if you didn't cheat or not
well it would depend on the subjects you did for your hsc or is this in reference to the degree you wish to study?

if it is to do with the degree which you wished to study, the same can be said of you. maybe you should have tried harder to get into a "good" uni or "good" degree and stop trying to find excuses.

and cheating? why is there the assumption that people cheated in the hsc? if you believed people cheated, then why didnt you attempt to cheat like them?

uac.aplcnt

HSC
subjects he did? I think he meant for everyone because "Iamscrewed" guy is not the only one who can pick hard subjects..and yeah its in reference to yr12 because it follows with yours or everybody else's post.

He has a good point anyways, good on ya you "goon"

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
There is the internet!
OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO
Hahahahah

win

Iamscrewed

HSC
To get a degree so people will employ you. You are unlikely to get a job if under the Education heading on your resume is "well I don't have any qualifications, but I spend a lot of time on the Internet, and that is kind of the same as having a degree."

Prestige is a factor in gaining employment in certain industries, and people like to boast about going to a prestigious school.
DTFM..In my first posts I actually said "What would be the point of going into the best university - if you have the same resources". Yeah, I said what would be the point of going into or trying to get into a top uni...yes BUT I DIDN'T SAY that you should totally ignore universities completely. I really meant you can access all the same resources at another IRL bodgy or "OK" institution!

DTFM

HSC
DTFM..In my first posts I actually said "What would be the point of going into the best university - if you have the same resources". Yeah, I said what would be the point of going into or trying to get into a top uni...yes BUT I DIDN'T SAY that you should totally ignore universities completely. I really meant you can access all the same resources at another IRL bodgy or "OK" institution!
Great. How about you just let this thread die as you have already gotten the answer to your fucking ridiculous question and are just trying to keep this thread alive by replying to posts that up until now have gone ignored.

kirstie8989

HSC
I'm currently in my second year of Uni studying Primary Education.

First year I went to all my lectures, they barely helped.

Lectures at my Uni (In Australia) are actually NOT compulsory to go to, but you have to reference stuff from them on assignments.

But you can download all the lecture powerpoints online, and all the lecturers literally just read straight from the powerpoint so getting them online is just the same really!

and i have tutorials for each class every week which ARE compulsory to go to. But we don't do stuff relevant to the assignment, it bugs me.

I think we should be able to download the lectures online and study them in our own time and then have our assignments sent to us and we can email our teachers if we have any questions about the assignments.

I end up doing this anyway because the teachers don't have time after class to talk to you so I always email them a lot as it is!

And this would be so much easier cause you can do everything in your own time. it is SO hard to fit uni timetable, studying, social life, family commitments AND a job all in one especially if you're at uni for long hours with stupid breaks in between making you there longer.

It is ridiculous.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You seem to have the wrong idea about my point..and so does mosts of you.

MY POINT IS..what is the meaning of going to a great top university (no offence) if you can go to an averaged or "Ok" university to get your degree..the award etc etc IN REAL LIFE ALSO which has the SAME resources in their library (AS WELL AS LINKING books and stuff through the internet with ALL the other top institutions - inluding the international ones). Intertwined with the fact that many uni's rely on the internet for information to do their assignments.

Hence, if the ok university (Maybe like LaTrobe for e.g.) has all the links of all the resources in all the uni's INCLUDING the resources on the internet..you tell me what would be the point of going to Sydney Uni or something if you have the resources at LaTrobe?!? SURE Sydney has the olden books and stuff..but what if they uploaded them on the internet as well?

You also get the SAME NAME on your certificate and hence the SAME degree (E.g. Psychology in Latrobe and Psychology in USYD)

:argue:
There is one thing that the Internet does not do and it is the same reason why random website are not considered sound sources of information for institutional assignments, etc.

They are not regulated nor should they be, the Internet is simply the biggest online sandbox MMORPG. This ensures (though with varying degrees) a sense of quality and standards, both of which are missing on a great deal of Internet resources.

Can the Internet function as a replacement in the future? Maybe, but we'd have to weed out idiots in society, which would make life very boring.

I'm currently in my second year of Uni studying Primary Education.

First year I went to all my lectures, they barely helped.

Lectures at my Uni (In Australia) are actually NOT compulsory to go to, but you have to reference stuff from them on assignments.

But you can download all the lecture powerpoints online, and all the lecturers literally just read straight from the powerpoint so getting them online is just the same really!

and i have tutorials for each class every week which ARE compulsory to go to. But we don't do stuff relevant to the assignment, it bugs me.

I think we should be able to download the lectures online and study them in our own time and then have our assignments sent to us and we can email our teachers if we have any questions about the assignments.

I end up doing this anyway because the teachers don't have time after class to talk to you so I always email them a lot as it is!

And this would be so much easier cause you can do everything in your own time. it is SO hard to fit uni timetable, studying, social life, family commitments AND a job all in one especially if you're at uni for long hours with stupid breaks in between making you there longer.

It is ridiculous.
Do it externally, problem solved. Point is all your information and knowledge is still being drawn from experts and professionals in your chosen field who have been selected as per their expertise and knowledge to endow you with them.

As above, the selection and regulation allows for a practice, as compared to some nutjob who poses alternative and radical (and often unresearched or with very little evidence to support them) claims.

Iamscrewed

HSC

Interesting isn't it? Thanks for that, that was interesting kristin..and I like your career also - I know nice people who do that job.

I guess tutorials has its history and tradition, which is why you gotta be there at uni..I think it supports your own research?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Interesting isn't it? Thanks for that, that was interesting kristin..and I like your career also - I know nice people who do that job.

I guess tutorials has its history and tradition, which is why you gotta be there at uni..I think it supports your own research?
Awesome argument, ignore shit that doesn't work for you!

This thread is illustrative of the un-regulated crap that goes on the Internet, people think they have valid opinions which are neither sound nor defensable in the slightest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)