• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Counting Money/Closing Store (1 Viewer)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
So whose allowed to count money and/or close up their stores.

i get to count money and close up the liquor department of woolies (alone!)

i kinda get a bit giddy with power when i get to walk around with the keys and count money :p.

How do u count coins? of the edge of the counter? or hands?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
A calculator.

With $2, 50c, 20c I always count to the best number. ie, i do piles of 5x20c .

That's just a draw though, not very hardcore.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
to do reconciliation at our store is really easy most of the time because there are only a few purchases each shift and they are usually credit card sales. but i've seen people from other stores who have like lots of coins etc... they usually just count them and recount them again.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
i do first count, superviser does second...

count coins?? i do it with my hands.. and i always lose count on the 5c pieces... damn tiny things

!! CaR`JiE !!

cäяяoт ^^'
HSC
no, at my work the manage comes before closing and doesnt that, the workers go clean up

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i think we get to do it at close .... bag all teh money and stuff but i only have ever worked till close once and didnt know what to do so they did it for me.
Our supervisors do it otherwise. Tehy just pick up the money and throw it back in as they count

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
At kmart you enter into the register how many of each denomination you have and the rest is done by the register. We're pretty trusted.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
yeah, i cash up. i count the money with my hands and (as someone else said) count it in round numbers e.g count 2 dollar coins groups of 5 so it is 10 + 10 + 10 etc. makes it easier. i also do banking and open the store,as well as all paperwork. it's pretty good to be able to put this stuff on your resume, but it sucks when your register doesnt balance and you cant work out why, that or you know one of your employees is taking money from the till - thats such a shitty experience

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Argonaut said:
they trust me to pack up virtually all the trading floor (except stonefruit)

Yeah, got to be careful of them stonefruit. lol

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Ms 12 said:
At kmart you enter into the register how many of each denomination you have and the rest is done by the register. We're pretty trusted.
yeah, same at woolies, u just write on a little slip u have for example 27 $50 notes, 15 $20's etc.

then a computer checks it against how much should be in there. but we have to bag it all up, all the 50's and EFT slips in one bag (plus any excess 20's) and the rest in another

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Notes go back into their sections once each denomination is all done. Coins get put back into their sections as they're counted.. I've always been worried about losing the coins onto the floor when doing it any other method.

At Dick Smith I count the cash & enter the totals into the computer.. Eventually I put the float and change into the safe, make sure the cheques and gift certificates all add up to the numbers the computer says we should have, hit the declare button and Mr Manager closes the store.

Counting cash isn't as cool as it used to be when I was 14, counting my drawer at Franklins (I was a checkout-chick! :D), but it's better than vacuuming!

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
If I open I count with my supervisor because there are too many registers around the store for one person to do it in less than an hour. We don't count at close.. we just spot check the registers once or twice during the day, normally when the registers change operators. I also get to count the float and do change etc for the register people.

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
What's so fun about opening or closing?

I have given one girl the power to do change orders and she's all pumped and excited and it's like - fuck, this is retail girl.

However, to be kind and participate in this thread, yes I do open and close.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
i dont have this power maybe in a few years or decasde i will have a chance :)

is a roflcopter
HSC
i do cash pickup and EOD
so tempted sometimes when i see 50k in cash in front of you
i dont really consider it a privilige since i gotta stay back an hour after the store closes

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
yeah, i cash up when we close. best bit of the shift because everyone else cleans while I count the money. :D
we group the coins into the amounts written on the little plastic bank bags ($10 of 50c.. $50 worth of $2 etc.) and use anything that doesnt fit exactly as part of the float. If you think you've counted wrong, you could weigh bags of the same denomination to check that they're the same...

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
as an assistant manager i did all the money counting/banking etc... we counted our cash at night and again in the morning... we basically do notes into piles of 10, coins go into bags -$50 of $2 coins, $20 of $1, $10 of 50c, $4 of 20c, $4 of 10c and $2 of 5c...
takes about 10 mins at night (although there are drops into the safe all day), and about 30-45 mins to do the morning count and banking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)