countries for 'impact of globalisation' (1 Viewer)

jon0_o

HSC
Hi I think every1 has to do an assignment on something about "the impact of globalisation on an economy other than Australia" I was just wondering which countries ppl have done or are thinking of doing and how they've found it??

Riviet

HSC
N/A
jon0_o said:
Hi I think every1 has to do an assignment on something about "the impact of globalisation on an economy other than Australia" I was just wondering which countries ppl have done or are thinking of doing and how they've found it??
Well the most common economies done are China and India. I did China myself, there's plenty of information that you can acquire just by doing a google search, and you could also have a look at the bos resources section.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Your textbook should have case studies on Brazil and Poland (mine did). I found those very useful, since they had a lot of good information.

I_F

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Every country will have impacts of globalisation. Google is good. So are educational databases.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
SOme countries of course will have impacts that are far more expressed and visible as others. Therefore it would be in a student's interest to choose an economy where there is a wide range of resources avaliable (Try not to confine yourself to a single case study, in your textbook; thats the easy option). ALso a country where the impact of globalisation has visibly and significantly impacted on the direction of that econmy and the life of the people living in it. As mentioned earlier, the most obvious candiatates fitting this criteria are India and China.

One word of advice though, i noticed while i was doing my HSC that many of my fellow classmates only HSC exam preperation for Topic 1 (The Global Economy) was the case study. i.e Globalisation's impact on that single economy. However you do need to be able to relate what you have learnt from the economy you study and be able to use aspects from it to act as EXAMPLES to back-up the basic course material on Globalisation in general. (For example this years Globalisation HSC question did not specifically refer to a case study, but it did require you to refer to Globalisation in a general sense and then use a case study to act as a real-life example to confirm the theroy.) The mistake many made is that they knew the case study, but forgot to learn the theory behind globalisation.......dont make that same mistake, it cost many of my friends many marks.

jon0_o

HSC
i was thinking china and india would be really common.. is it better do something less mainstream??? lyk will they mark you down (or a bit more harshly) if HSC markers r reading the same country over and over again

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
jon0_o said:
lyk will they mark you down (or a bit more harshly) if HSC markers r reading the same country over and over again
No. They will NOT do such a thing. If you include all the informtion required to answer the question, and you meet all the requirements in the marking scheme, you will get the marks. The country you do does not matter in marking (at least in the way you described)

However, they will mark you down if your selection of case study results in a lack of information to adequately answer the question specified. This would result from a poor case study selection where say the effects of globalisation are not visibly noticable and expressed, or where there is a shortage of resources etc. You are not marked down specifically on the country, but in such cases, on the inability of your case to met the requirments of the question.

Therefore it is advisable to choose a country where globaisation's impacts can be obviously seen, and where the data is avaliable to confirm this in an essay. Wether or not the case study is 'popular' or not should play no role in your selection.

Here is an extract from the 2003 Markers notes:

" it was apparent that better responses were based on economies where the impact of globalisation was more evident, eg China, Brazil, or Vietnam...The appropriateness of the chosen case study for this part of the course needs to be given careful consideration."

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
I did Ireland, mine is seriously really good, looked up all info and was up to date (few days before HSC), too bad they didn't ask it. I recommend Ireland, it's had a big impact and they're are a lot of strategies - just use google or i have mine on the floor somewhere, it's around 8 pages hand written.

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
I did Thailand, and found great information on it.

While it doesn't matter if you do mainstream ones or not, and no the markers will not mark you down for it, you have to be careful that you do a mainstream one really well. Since many people will be doing it, the markers will be able to compare yours to a lot of other candidates, so your standards on them have to be perfect (while a less mainstream ones you MAY be able to slip mistakes in without being noticed). My teacher point out this to me, but ultimately it's doing a country that you would enjoy researching and learning about best.

ichiraku

HSC
I did South Korea for my case study. The impacts of globalisation on it are quite evident not only from the 50s onwardsbut also in the last 10 years and even recent times (last few months). Actually, the funny thing is the day before our case study was due, I threw some stuff on the WTO talks that were occuring at the time regarding the reduction in agricultural subsidies.

taki999

HSC
Isnt this just a case study for exams?? I never knew in the eco course you had to do impact of globalisation assignment.

anintax3

HSC
where can i get books for this topic? and whats the title ..
or websites would be good .

coz our school dont get textbooks for this YET, and its due soon :confused:

vizman

HSC
i did vietnam for my eco case study. in my opinion, a very good country to do. there were very significant shifts and the impacts of globalisation are particularly clear. in particular, free market deregulation etc

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Personally, i wouldnt choose a country that is in a textbook, for the mere fact that your teacher will probably realise that you had gotton your info from the textbook. Even if you do outside research, it may be overshadowed by the stuff you got straight out of the book.

I did south korea for mine and found that it was a country with alot to write about, however it was harder to find information than getting it out of the book

Sarsy

HSC
nickyroony said:
I did Thailand, and found great information on it.
I did Thailand too. It had plenty of good information, although I still only got 15/20. :(
Edit: Obviously my mistakes were a little bit more obvious

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)