Country V's City Education (1 Viewer)

anthonybarhoush

ok, this has been an argument for a long time...whats better a country or city hsc education?

the nsw boARd of Studies have come to the conclusion that its better in the city because theres more resources (like huge librarys and shakesphere plays etc). i agree with these statement (im from the country).

and also because we are disadvantaged in the hsc we get extra uai marks only at certian uni's...but what i hate is that u can only get these extra uai's at crap or not so prestigious uni's like charles stuart and southern cross...what about the Uni of syd or NSW uni or ANU and those ones????

what does everyone else think?

p.s. cant wait to get out of the country and move to the city and the end of yr 12!!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I think you need to research what you're talking about. Disadvantaged students receive help from every uni. :p

I agree, though. Country towns are a pain. I can't wait to move to Brisbane.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
ive been 2 both city and country schools, and i cant honestly say i see a big difference really. the city schools have it better as far as little things like air con, better quality facilities etc, but there are good quality libraries and stuff in the country/rural areas too. you just have to go further to find them. which yes can be a pain but nothing serious enuf 2 affect ur hsc. i guess it depends upon the school, cuz i reckon it must vary from place to place. there are some pretty dodgy schools in the city too.
and charles sturt isnt crap. it just doesnt have the "prestigious" tag like Sydney uni n places like that.

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
there are good quality libraries and stuff in the country/rural areas too. you just have to go further to find them.
Pretty broad statement there. The nearest library for me is 1-2 hours drive away, and it's pretty tiny... It depends on how you classify country. My towns population is 900, but alot of people classify places with 100,000+ as country.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
10,000 people make a city. 100,000 people is a place like Newcastle or Wollongong and by no means a 'country'. Even if they are Rural centres - like Dubbo, Parkes, Orange ect - are technically cities, but still reguarded as 'rural', and of cause they will have better facilities than country towns like Walgett or Blaney.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
morpheusbushy said:
ok, this has been an argument for a long time...whats better a country or city hsc educucation?
I did my HSC at a rural school and got a 90+ UAI so I have no complaints to make about country education.

anthonybarhoush

im pretty sure that not all uni's help country kids at all...u dont get any extra uai marks at sydney uni or NSW uni or ANU or Melbourne its only at those uni's that actually need to find more people to go to their uni like charles stuart and southern cross.

and i think there is a big disadvantage to country kids..a mate at school travels 2 and a half hours on the bus every day to and from school, e.g. i only live across the road from the school so i have an extra 2 and a half hours study then he does each night, therefore he is disadvantaged so he should be awarded extra uai marks.

i think that extra uai marks should be added straight to ur final uai mark and not have to depend on what uni or course u are going to be doing.

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
im at a country school, and while i have no specific problems with the quality of education i am recieving, i definitely think theres a difference between the standards. I mean, look at the top schools and students, all from the city (ok ok i know theres exceptions). theres something going on, thats for sure. i think the city gets better quality teachers, and more of them. they have access to more resources and facilities eg. tutors. i think that simply having more students is a factor too. thats my 2 cents.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
morpheusbushy said:
im pretty sure that not all uni's help country kids at all...u dont get any extra uai marks at sydney uni or NSW uni or ANU or Melbourne its only at those uni's that actually need to find more people to go to their uni like charles stuart and southern cross.

and i think there is a big disadvantage to country kids..a mate at school travels 2 and a half hours on the bus every day to and from school, e.g. i only live across the road from the school so i have an extra 2 and a half hours study then he does each night, therefore he is disadvantaged so he should be awarded extra uai marks.

i think that extra uai marks should be added straight to ur final uai mark and not have to depend on what uni or course u are going to be doing.
The unis don't need to add extra UAI points in order for them to help you.

Alternate entry schemes spring to mind.

still waiting

HSC
i come from the country but am currently going to a boarding school in syd. i think that it depends on the individual as well as the school that they are at.. the person has to want to do well and if they do they will try there hardest to do it no matter what circumstances the schools also affect the outcomes a bit i no that my little bro just started high school at the local school and that school is doing so much better now that they got a new principle in it so i think that in some cases they are disadvantaged but depending on how hard they want it then theyll overcome the obstacles

casualcomedy

HSC
I'm from the country and the greatest highlights for most people from our school is going to the big smoke for an excursion but I honestly say there is a slight disadvantage to students in the country but also there is a disadvantage in funding and money flows.

Courses at our school cannot be run without a high number of students because there are simply not the teachers, support or rooms. Along with that, disant education courses are discouraged because it drops the percentage of funding and teacher numbers.

Also the syllabus disadvantages students without resources. The Drama IPs have a choice for theatre criticism but you have to have access to theatre performances. For my town personally that would be a 3-5 hr drive away.

Another disadvantage when in the country (yes the place next to Sydney) is the costs it involves to get extra help and resources for the HSC. Courses run by Uni and HSC markers are run in the city or conurbs which cost a far bit but plus travel, food and accomadiation make it quite to pay for.

I don't deny that living in the country is a slight disadvantage but I'm lucky enough to be in a school with despite its short comings, has turned out the best results in cultural, academic and sporting areas and is safe and fun to go to. And even though I winge and groan about being a country student it does have its advantages and I don't think I could be any other way.

Alex_H86

CEO of BoS...
HSC
Ok, so it's true that the HSC does largely depend on the individual, however, there are alot of problems living in the country and going to school than living in the city. Alot of teachers don't want to go to country schools, therefore, many schools, such as the one I used to go to, end up with substitute teachers, and we all know how wonderful they are.

Also, yes it is very true that 'we'(country) don't have the best access to resourses such as libraries, plays, university days etc. We make do with what we'v got, and still do quite well considering.If we do decide to go to a better school, most end up having to board or travel for hours every day.

However, there are also advantages, such as smaller class sizes, meaning better teacher-pupil relationships, and less segregation of social standings....

Anyways, if you go to a country school, you deal with all the crap that goes with it, and when you do decide to further your education, you appreciate how much better facilities are in larger populations... :rolleyes:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I went to a country school.... I had some excellent teachers, but it was a lot harder to access some resources, plus you had to fork out the money (and time) to go to the city for some things (e.g. a 14 hour round trip to go and see a production of King Lear).

I think that the city schools have it better in many respects.... if I had lived in the city I may have gone to a selective public school and hence may have done even better in my HSC.... but I loved my time at school and some of my teachers were just awesome. I don't really have any regrets.

Country students are disadvataged though when it comes to going to city unis.... it is a huge financial strain, and a lot of people (like me) get zero help from the government. It can be a real financial struggle at times and I know a lot of people who couldn't afford to go to uni in the city.

fakingtheday

HSC
It's basically the sheer number of people who go to schools in the city. I go to Coona High, no filter for dumb shit assholes who want to screw around. But you get out what you put in. I've got top teachers who go out of their way to help us. So it's a ratio thing more than anything. that said, i'd go for country over city. Still can't wait to get to the city and unsw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)