Couple questions (1 Viewer)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
1) Which piece of equipment would you use to measure the amount of suspended solids in water:

a) filter paper
b) turbidity tube

2) When testing water quality, using more water samples improves:

a) validity
b) reliability
c) accuracy
d) makes a fair test

Getting mixed responses from textbooks, thanks.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
1. Turbidity Tube, that's what they're designed for.

Filter paper works, but it would take forever.

2. Reliability.

Validity would be the method in which you test your water quality.

Accuracy would be what tools (and their accuracy) you use to measure your water quality.

Makes a fair test would be somewhat related to validity

ie: To test the overall water quality of a river, you would test water from fixed depths not one from the surface, another 20cm deep etc, or you wouldn't want to test water that's situated right next to the run-off from an industrial factory.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Turbidity is a measure of cloudiness or lack of transparency (measured in NTU), caused by the presence of undissolved solids and suspended solids
Turbidity is measured with a turbidity tube so I'd go with b for 1

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
2 is definitely B.

The thing about 1 is that both are technically correct in a sense.

"Turbidity is the cloudiness or haziness of a fluid caused by individual particles (suspended solids) that are generally invisible to the naked eye, similar to smoke in air" so measuring turbidity is measuring cloudiness due to suspended solids but that doesn't necessarily tell you how much solid is there.

When it says the amount of suspended solids, I'd be slightly more inclined to say filter paper.

The difference between total suspended solids (TSS) and turbidity is that total suspended solids is the amount of material present and it doesn't matter what the properties of those solids are while turbidity can be affected by the level at which light is scattered (some materials scatter more than others). In addition, some dissolved solids can change the colour of a solution (CuSO4 etc) which affect turbidity but not TSS.

Last edited:

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
2 is definitely B.

"Turbidity is the cloudiness or haziness of a fluid caused by individual particles (suspended solids) that are generally invisible to the naked eye, similar to smoke in air" so measuring turbidity is measuring cloudiness due to suspended solids but that doesn't necessarily tell you how much solid is there.

When it says the amount of suspended solids, I'd be slightly more inclined to say filter paper.
Good point, here's a quote from Wikipedia;
Although turbidity purports to measure approximately the same water quality property as TSS, the latter is more useful because it provides an actual weight of the particulate material present in the sample. In water quality monitoring situations, a series of more labor intensive TSS measurements will be paired with relatively quick and easy turbidity measurements to develop a site-specific correlation

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Good point, here's a quote from Wikipedia;
Although turbidity purports to measure approximately the same water quality property as TSS, the latter is more useful because it provides an actual weight of the particulate material present in the sample. In water quality monitoring situations, a series of more labor intensive TSS measurements will be paired with relatively quick and easy turbidity measurements to develop a site-specific correlation
Don't use Wikipedia ....

RealiseNothing

HSC
2 is definitely B.

The difference between total suspended solids (TSS) and turbidity is that total suspended solids is the amount of material present and it doesn't matter what the properties of those solids are while turbidity can be affected by the level at which light is scattered (some materials scatter more than others). In addition, some dissolved solids can change the colour of a solution (CuSO4 etc) which affect turbidity but not TSS.
Yep this is exactly why I'm asking, both seem correct, but the word "amount" makes me think it is filter paper.

A bit of context as to why I'm stressed over this question: These questions were in one of my exams (not trial) and could potentially be the difference between me coming 1st overall or 2nd overall. I could wait until I get the results, but I want to put my mind at ease.

Oh and I put reliability and filter paper as my answers. Everyone else put turbidity tube.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say filter paper is the best way to measure the amount of dissolved solids. Turbidity tubes do give an indication but it's affected by other factors and so, it's not completely ideal.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 4

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, Wikipedia is fine. 99% of the time, it is correct and really, a lot of pages are locked and high level academics often look after them anyway.

RealiseNothing

HSC
I'd say filter paper is the best way to measure the amount of dissolved solids. Turbidity tubes do give an indication but it's affected by other factors and so, it's not completely ideal.

You mean suspended solids and not dissolved right lol?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)