• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Course I'm thinking of doing (1 Viewer)

Scorch

HSC
I'm thinking of doing a course in Ancient History or something similar at uni (hopefully University of Sydney). The only problem I can think of is that I don't know what kinda of career oppurtunties ancient history would open up ... any ideas?

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
a historian somewhere, perhaps something in historial research, you could always become a teacher? lol ask PwarYeux he's doing something similar at Macquaire I belive.

Scorch

HSC
I thought of being a teacher at a uni somewhere, but I don't think that's what I'd like to do. Oh well, I guess I'll find out.

Emph

HSC
one of my mum's friends is a researcher at the ABC for all the history programs. I guess you would have to do your Arts degree with both history and media components

H

housemouse

There are currently too many history teachers in schools so it would hard to find a job. Too much supply, little demand

Raginsheep

HSC
So waste 3/4 years of your life and $20000 to do a uni subject which ultimately may prove useless in your future career path?

gracie007

HSC
my bf is doing that at uni of sydney. pm me if u want his email to talk to him, he loves it, so hed be more than happy to give u advice.

X

xeuyrawp

housemouse said:
There are currently too many history teachers in schools so it would hard to find a job. Too much supply, little demand
Where did you get that from?

Whilst I haven't been around long, I've gone to a tonne of HTA, MAHA, and ACE conferences - none of which alluded to that.

There's also the issue that a lot of schools have places for dual teaching; ie teachers that teach two or more subjects. An HSC history teacher at my school also taught English...

Raginsheep said:
So waste 3/4 years of your life and $20000 to do a uni subject which ultimately may prove useless in your future career path?
Oh dear. Is that like wasting $20,000 extra on a nicer car that may ultimately prove useless in getting you to your desination?

Scorch said:
I'm thinking of doing a course in Ancient History or something similar at uni (hopefully University of Sydney). The only problem I can think of is that I don't know what kinda of career oppurtunties ancient history would open up ... any ideas?
There are only a few history units at both Sydney and Macquarie which are intended primarily for those who want to become a historian. Most of them, really, are there to increase your knowledge - which a lot of people enjoy.

If you enjoy something, you should go for it. There is no reason why you cannot go backwards in your journey for a career path (as Ragin would say) and get another undergraduate or graduate degree. At least then you'll know what are and are not options for a career.

If you simply persue something for a career, you'll find yourself never exploring what might be. Fortunately at this stage of your life, you don't really have as many obligations that you may have later, so doing something enjoyable may be limited to now. I don't think I've heard anyone say that they have enough money (and can go back and do something 'useless').

In terms of your options, you can go to Macquarie or to Sydney. The difference is basically subject area. Sydney has Greece, Rome, and Biblical Studies, Macquarie has Egyptology, Near Eastern / Biblical Studies, Greece, Rome, Late Antiquity, Coptology, Manichaeism... Basically Macquarie has a greater range of study. However, Sydney's Greek and Roman studies is probably a bit better, so if you want to do only Greek and Roman history, go there.

Also, Sydney is a bit more formal in the degree structure - ie if you want to explore all the other department's units, you can't... Although I haven't investigated this fully, so perhaps a USyder can come in and correct me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raginsheep

HSC
People have misunderstood me, do history if it interests you and you have an interest in pursuing a career in a field where such a degree may be useful by all means. Im not saying history is shit or arts is shit. Im saying that you should reconsider "just doing a degree for the sake of it". Likewise, don't do something you have absolutely no interest in just because it'll pay well in the future.

X

xeuyrawp

Raginsheep said:
People have misunderstood me, do history if it interests you and you have an interest in pursuing a career in a field where such a degree may be useful by all means. Im not saying history is shit or arts is shit. Im saying that you should reconsider "just doing a degree for the sake of it". Likewise, don't do something you have absolutely no interest in just because it'll pay well in the future.
Ah, sorry if I misunderstood you.

But yeah, I agree and disagree at the same time. A lot of people have no idea what they want to do. Something like a generalist degree can be good for those people...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)