• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

'Crash' + 'American History X' (1 Viewer)

nada92

Gotti Teiknadi <3
HSC
I know that the movies 'Crash' and 'American History X' are both related because they are both about race and prejudice but i need a more in-depth explanation as to how they are both related. Anyone have any ideas?

quinn82

HSC
the most obvious way to relate these two films is through the themes, but then consider how each of the directors has approached this, if there are similarities/differences what affect do they have on the viewer? have the techniques they have used changed or manipulted what you are seeing. look at the camera angles, lighting, music etc

e.g. the use of black and white in american history x is not only used to signify a flash back within the story, it can also signify the 'black and white' ideals that many of the characters adhere to.

all of these are used to position the viewer to respond to the film in a particular way. the themes they are dealing with not new so how have they transformed in a contemporary context?

hope this helps a bit :rolleyes:

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
also, look at characterisation and how the characters are shaped by their past and present and possibly their future.

and keep in mind because it is a film, you need to look at the cinematography. how are the scenes constructed? (angles, lighting or lack thereof, proximity, positioning of props, etc)

i've always thought film was a perfect medium to deconstruct. there is too much to play with!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)