• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Crazy biology teacher: Should I drop? HELP!!? (1 Viewer)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The difference with IT is that I have a superb teacher who would sit there for hours if needed to explain to my dense brain a single concept if I don't understand. He would try different ways of teaching and explaining. With my biology teacher she would just repeat the same thing over and over again. I get that it's suppose to help but if I don't get it the first time I don't see how I'm going to get it the second time if all you're doing is repeating..

I would rather not get my parents involved, I doubt it would do much anyway she and the Principal are 'old friends' as she likes to inform everyone.
I have the view that if a teacher repeats the same explanation again and again, it is usually a sign he/she doesn't know the stuff. I like to think I am an excellent explainer when teaching maths. If my student does not understand even after I have explained a number of ways, I'll find another way to explain, depending on my assessment of student's reasons for not understanding. To be able to do that I need to know my subject matter very well.

Last edited:
HSC
A class is only a few minutes of each day. Don't let it deter you from a subject if you enjoy it. Just go home and read the book yourself.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
According to my sources, she has dropped it. :(

How is your Biology discrepancy going?
Oh, that's a shame. But if she's not happy in it, then there's really no point in staying. Especially when the teacher (even if people say you shouldn't pick a subject because of a teacher) is not real good. The teacher has a large impact on your studies. I've had people telling me that a teacher's job is to guide while it's a student job to learn. But if the teacher refuses to guide properly or doesn't know how to guide it's kinda hard to find your foot in the area.

I think she picked up my "going to drop" vibes or something. She has been acting strangely nice to me lately. Coming up to me asking if I don't understand something.. it's kinda creepy with the sudden change of personality. I have formally decided to not drop but work on stuff at home due to some of the terrific resources a particular someone had given me. Mind you I still have to go through that ridiculous lot of information but still.. it's a start :D
WTH? o_O

I have the view that if a teacher repeats the same explanation again and again, it is usually a sign he/she doesn't know the stuff. I like to think I am an excellent explainer when teaching maths. If my student does not understand even after I have explained a number of ways, I'll find another way to explain, depending on my assessment of student's reasons for not understanding. To be able to do that I need to know my subject matter very well.
I need more teachers like you. Ones that are patient too, some of my teachers are brilliant but no patience for my occasional stupidity.

A class is only a few minutes of each day. Don't let it deter you from a subject if you enjoy it. Just go home and read the book yourself.
Currently it is doing a terrific job of it.Studying by yourself is no fun :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)