Creating an individual in society... (1 Viewer)

*IcePrincess*

HSC
I got my first creative writing task for ext 1 last week for the individual in society elective and I have no idea what to do. My teacher says once you have an idea you should be able to adapt it to any writing style you want or are required to do. Problem: I'm completely stuck for ideas.

What does everyone else write about?

Please help me.

steffiduck

HSC
basically, this means you have a "thesis" that you want to explore in your creative composition (ie an idea you have about some issue of the nineteenth century eg marriage, women, class, religion etc).

because we had spent most of the time exploring women and marriage, we were advised by our teacher to write about that. Stick with ideas that you've already explored in class, as you don't have so much research to do.

do you know what form you have to write in? for our halyearlies, we were told it could be any form, and our teacher told us to be prepared for letters, speeches or diary entries. we ended up having to write a short story (evil evil teacher)

*IcePrincess*

HSC
The question she gave us to do for this past week is:

Assume the role of a character who might have lived in a particular historical period. Write a series of three letters to a mentor, outlining how you dealt with experiences which resulted in a threat to your individuality.

Because we got a new teacher at the beginning of this year our research into the 19th century is kind of disjointed, but I think she's picked up on that so we now have two lessons a week; one for essay writing and one for creative. Thanks for the advice.

steffiduck

HSC
from our advice from our teacher, if you have to write letters, write male-to-female or female-to-male, in order to cover the paradigms thoroughly.

there's heaps of things you could explore in your letters... pick something from the texts you've read. or from the context research you've done (like dissenters, 'feminists' (using the term very losely there), people who no longer believe in god because of Charles Darwin's "origin of the spieces"...just some ideas)

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)