Creative Arts Interviews... (1 Viewer)

nwatts

HSC
Hey,

I've submitted an application for creative writing here at UOW, and I'm wondering what the interview will be like. Has anyone on here been through a Creative Arts interview before? What did they ask? And all importantly, what did you wear? :D (just joking on the last one there.. :p).

I'm also nervous my interview will be during my schoolies time. I'm thinking I might call them up and plead that they organise a time for when i'm here! Did anyone else have this experience last year?

Nick

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Yep, been through the interview process. I do writing at UOW.
I don't really remember the interview too well. They asked about my work, like what and who inspired it, what I was trying to achieve, my influences. Commented on tone, etc, asked about whether I like to read and what. They asked if I was willing to move to the gong (I was living in north-west Sydney at the time).
Haha as for clothes, you don't need to dress up, just be yourself, cos that's what they'll be seeing if you get in.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
i'm in the same situation

i JUST finished my application and am handing it in tomorrow.

now the interview part :S i hate interviews. should be interesting though. i'm lucky with the schoolies though, i'll just be in avoca and can come back whenever.

crossmyheart

HSC
I am up schoolies during the 1st or 2nd week or interviews and im not sure what to do! should i call them up before to inform them or take my chances and wait to see what date i have an interview AND THEN call them?
ARGH!

nwatts

HSC
glitter burns said:
Yep, been through the interview process. I do writing at UOW.
I don't really remember the interview too well. They asked about my work, like what and who inspired it, what I was trying to achieve, my influences. Commented on tone, etc, asked about whether I like to read and what. They asked if I was willing to move to the gong (I was living in north-west Sydney at the time).
Haha as for clothes, you don't need to dress up, just be yourself, cos that's what they'll be seeing if you get in.
That sounds pretty painless. :)

How have you found creative writing at UOW? What style of writing do you write in? How have you found the whole vibe? etc. etc. (tell me everything!)

HSC
crossmyheart said:
I am up schoolies during the 1st or 2nd week or interviews and im not sure what to do! should i call them up before to inform them or take my chances and wait to see what date i have an interview AND THEN call them?
ARGH!
Just wait for an interview date to be allocated. If it falls during the time that you're away, call UoW and inform them that they rank behind schoolies on your priorities list. I'm sure they'll understand :)

Last edited:

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
nwatts said:
How have you found creative writing at UOW? What style of writing do you write in? How have you found the whole vibe? etc. etc. (tell me everything!)
I'm really enjoying the course. First semester of first year, the theory subject is really hard but once you survive that it gets better (and might I add, way more interesting!).
Uhm my writing style has changed I think, since I started uni. I've definitely got better, cos of all the practise, new techniques/influences and stuff. I really enjoy prose, and while I love script writing, I'm not enjoying the class as much as I thought I would... I'm going to take first year poetry next year I think, and see how that goes, apparently Alan (poetry lecturer, you'll meet him at the interviews) is great but kind of crazy.
The vibe is good, I think. We're a pretty closeknit class, there's only like, 30-35 of us in first year, probably similar numbers in the older years too. The third years are a pretty cool bunch, don't know many of the second years though, they keep to their own year it seems. Between classes (or just randomly) you can find the writing students in the beer garden part of the unibar, usually taking up the benches.
Haha, I'm not sure if that's everything, but I don't know what else to tell you.

Miss Wendy

HSC
Writing is so FRICKEN fantastic. Most fun uni couse ever. For one, everyone who wants to do it tends to be interesting, so you will never be bored in class. But then the lecturers are so fun (especially Shady and Damian), and the work is good. but best of ALL is that there arent any exams. actually, no, best of all are writers parties. Just imagine multiple sacks of goon, numerous bongs, hip hop music, a variety of hats and the occassional make out fest.

At the first writing party of this year, it was a free for all. Most went home with thirty plus (pash) notches on the bed post.

Yes. writing is great. dont fuck up the interview, or you will miss out on the fun.

p.s. my interview day was after I went to schoolies, and they just rearranged it. wait until they give a date though. Theyre so disorganised that even if you ask for a special date, they'll forget.

nwatts

HSC
Tulipa said:
oh shit really?

damn, wait what happens if you don't get an interview? do they notify you then?
Two of my friends who applied for creative arts haven't got theirs yet. Don't sweat.

nwatts

HSC
Miss Wendy said:
p.s. my interview day was after I went to schoolies, and they just rearranged it. wait until they give a date though. Theyre so disorganised that even if you ask for a special date, they'll forget.
Yeah, same has happened here. Did you just write a letter in explaining that you wanted a different date? I'm unsure of what to do. I called up the creative arts faculty and the lady wasn't exactly happy that I was asking for a different date... I don't want to make a bad impression by giving them the idea that going away on holidays is more important to me than university (when it's not).

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
got my letter today.

the week before i go to schoolies (i go third week so it was never going to be a big deal) so thank god but im goin to miss my schools awards day that i'm meant to go to :S but still i can't be bothered to change it really.

crossmyheart

HSC
what sort of questions should i be expecting in the interview for graphic design and new media?

nwatts

HSC
crossmyheart said:
what sort of questions should i be expecting in the interview for graphic design and new media?
They should have mentioned it on the letter. Mine has an outline of what the panel are looking for, and what kinds of things they'll ask about.

crossmyheart

HSC
yer same here, just thought someone might no anything in particular

also, does everyone who applies get an interview or what?!

pogiangel

HSC
crossmyheart said:
yer same here, just thought someone might no anything in particular

also, does everyone who applies get an interview or what?!
I don't think everyone does. If your application did not meet the requirements, or showed them that you were completely not right for a position, i dont think you received one.

At my interview they asked about my experience. Talked about particular designs and artworks. Why I wanted to do the degree. That sort of thing. I asked a few questions about the theory involved and that sort of thing.

The interview is all about them learning about you, but it also provides you with a chance to ask them anything at all about the uni, faculty or the degree. It also makes you look much more interested if you ask a few questions. I think it does.

Just be yourself, good luck with the hsc and the interview.

Cheers, Jerome

nwatts

HSC
I managed to get my interview date changed. :D Now I can go on schoolies and go to the interview. *dances*

Well, I'm excited. I'm on the 2nd of december. Anyone else on the same day?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)