Creative Writing..need Starting Help! (1 Viewer)

lealea226

HSC
Trials for me start in afew days and my english teacher told us theres definatly a section where we have to write a creative writing piece. The theme is physical journey and im unsure what to write about. My teacher made some good points about what to do and not do such as: DONT write about your age group, its too cliche. DONT write about global events such as September 11, the Tsunami etc. DONT tell a whole story - just write about A MOMENT and work on that. Now the whole 'write about a moment' has gotten me abit confused. Its a god point but i cant help but to write a full-on story and then it turns out crap becuase i rushed it. Can someone help me out please???!!

ashlee-xx

HSC
um when it means dont write a whole story, choose a concept that wouldnt involve a trillion page explanation of the journey, a moment in time which doesnt need a background description of the character and everything involved to develop an understanding of the story. In the story the journey should ultimately create change in the main character on some level and ye
finding inspiration from movies and books, even art and stuff helps you be creative, just be descriptive, and what your teacher says about dont make it about your own age group whatever, do whatever you want to write about, just simply make it good, something youd like to rad in a book, and thatll get you high marks

ashlee-xx

HSC
=] i dunno i just felt like helping you out but i dont think that helped you out at all
read the creative stories in the BOS resources, and watch journey movies, it will give you a general idea, once you start the actual story itll all just come together

lealea226

HSC
No no that helped quite a bit! Thankyou so much!! :) Yeah ive basically thought along storylines from movies like: the last kiss, into the wild, lords of dogtown etc. Its just hard to be so original when your competing against soooo many damn people you know? Anyhoo thanks a bunch :) If anyone else has more depth about this subject feel free to add on.

N

Nicola1616

Hi - I guess you've written a story by now so it'll be about refining it for real exams but I thought I'd write back anyway. At my daughters school they were told to set their story in some other time or culture if at all possible, and then research it a bit as well. She wrote as story about an American Indian and started with the line: "With every excruciating step he took, Chngachuk knew that he was dying". I think that first line really helped so maybe you could play around with some 'first line' ideas. Don't laugh but I'll try to think of a couple - you'd have to provide the setting-

Miles from anywhere, she sat down in the dust and considered her position. By any analysis she was nowhere, but she had been 'somewhere' and that was overrated, so 'nowhere' sounded good for now.

He looked down at his feet. Here was the problem. If only he could get one of them to move, just a step, just an inch, just a hint of moving forward, he knew that the rest of him would follow.

With a certainty that she had not felt before, she knew that she was headed in the wrong direction. She picked up her backpack and whistled to the dogs.

The other thing is to take a theme from another subject so she also drafted for example: Tutenkahmun's journey through the underworld after tht tomb is closed. Also I don't think it is a real problem to write about someone your own age but don't set it in your own culture with contemporary issues.

I heard an idea once of a story about someone who has a phobia of outside, trying to just walk to the letterbox - I thought it would be a great idea but she didn't use it so it's a possibility.

Good luck.

kooltrainer

HSC
aw, why can't you write about global events?
there was a really good one talkin abt john howard wanting to withdraw soldiers from iraq

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)