• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Creative writing, Please help! (1 Viewer)

G

gigi_love

hey there , it would be cool if someone could give me a hand with some idea's. i really want to get into creative writing at Uni...and the gong and maqaurie are the only Uni's that i know do it...any others? i have heaps of writing i can submit for the application but dont know whats suitable....save me

santaslayer

HSC
Anything short, sexy and sweet id say. Since they're going to be reading quite a few of them. :)

UoW4lyfe! :p

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
I do Creative Writing at UOW, and I know someone doing it at Macquarie, apparently the Macquarie course is pretty much all theory, whereas at UOW we get to do a lot more practical work.

In my portfolio to get in I put in a short story I'd written (about 5 pages I think) and three or four poems, and also gave a brief description of each piece and the creative process I went through while I wrote it.
Ignore Santaslayer, they don't want short and sweet, they want a good sample of your writing, up to about 12 pages if I remember correctly. You're not supposed to submit your year12 major work.
Good luck!

G

gigi_love

Oh thank you heaps, is it a popular course?
i have a stack of writing i have written but just dont know whether its good enough, but i have my heart set on getting in. I am going to apply at both wollongong and Macqaurie , what UAI did you get, im stressing mine wont make the mark.....

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
I don't remember what UAI I got, 80something. I have friends who got in with UAI's of like 70, it's not so much about UAI as it is about writing skill, passion and suitability for the course.

hello99999

HSC
im pretty sure there is some creative writing course at UTS as well that is quite practically-oriented. look in the uac guide or on uts website.

G

gigi_love

Thanks lots...=) ill check that website out, i really want to get in !what kind of things do they ask in the interviews...

Miss Wendy

HSC
Depends on who you get. Mainly they ask about what you read, how you went at hgih school, what you want to get out of the course. My interview was with Hawkie, and we talked for ages about what the theory course is like. It was kind of fun.

Whatever you do, don't stress. They can smell fear.

Hope to see you next year, its a hellava fun course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)